Fear of Hell, and Homeopathy

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
The Questioner

Re: Fear of Hell, and Homeopathy

Post by The Questioner » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:23 pm

Further to my earlier comments about the propensity for people in fundamentalist - and even general evangelical - circles to preach vengeance and threat, it is interesting yo look at Jesus Christ's agenda, as set out in Luke4: 18,19. He says,

"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
    because he has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
    and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19     to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”[f]

Jesus is, if course, quoting Isaiah 61: 1,2. But Jesus is somewhat selective in what he says. Compare the Isaiah passage:

"61 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,"

Look at the last phrase. Jesus misses out the threat part.

Why did people start adding it in?

Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:28 pm

That passage in Luke 4 is for me one of the most moving passages in the whole of the New Testament. It has a special significance as it represents the very start of Jesus’ ministry, when he is setting out his agenda: a trailer, if you like, for what was to come; a summary of what he was here for. The omission tells a lot too.

Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Put the fear of God into your children. Make them scared stiff.

BDH Vol. 38 page 128 (Columbus, 15 April 2005)
I think you've got to put the fear of God into your children somehow. How you might do it might be many and varied methods, but you've got to somehow get the fear of God into them, so that they're scared to sin, they're scared to go and do some wicked matter, they're scared stiff. Parents haven't been strong enough with their children, they've been weak, because they haven't been right themselves. Somehow the children should be made to be scared stiff to pursue an evil course. That's the fear of God.
Psychologists tell us that those who have been abused as children tend to become abusers. Maybe it is also true that those like BDH who suffered "a total and utter fear" as children are the ones that tend deliberately to induce fear when they become adults.

Where I live, people who induce such a fear in children could be prosecuted. If someone today did to children what was done to BDH as a child, they could be jailed.

brother John

Post by brother John » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:25 pm

It beggars belief that such garbage, could ever be considered as " ministry"!

The Erect Vessel

Post by The Erect Vessel » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:17 am

There are a few acronyms for Fear. False Evidence Appearing Real....my favourite is F. Everything And Run!

But for goodness sakes this guy is more than a worry. That is abuse. Scaring the living daylights out of kids! Dreadful. How anyone can look up to this creep beggars belief, let alone think that he is some kind of demi god..Lord's Divinely Accredited Minister Of Fear eh?

Dear oh dear...your heart goes out to these poor deluded souls locked in the awful cult.

Problem is if you did rescue them they are probably all suffering from Stockholm's syndrome. They would go rushing back in!

It never fails to amaze me that when you speak to recent escapees they are very touchy about anything said against the Grand Poobah!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:23 pm

'Recent escapees being very touchy about anything said against the 'Grand Poohbah'

In one of the strangest anonomolies I ever heard was the members of the Branch Davidian cult who were absent when the fire burned their compound in Waco, Texas to the ground and with it ,David Koresh and 76 men women and children who could have just walked out to safety when the fire started chose to stay inside and die , later stated that they 'wished they had been inside and died with them' ...that's how powerful brainwashing is..

Even today,'dying out of fellowship' is a very real fear in the older brethren who are unhappy with what they see and likely contributes to holding them inside the cult showing how invasive systematic cradle to grave brainwashing is .... Cult deprograming is a long ,painful soul searching process that many people may fear to embarque on( it is not uncommon for people 'out of fellowship' as they describe themselves to make no contact with anyone else for the rest of their lives ,stuck in 'no man's land')

Nottachurch

Post by Nottachurch » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:45 pm

The Erect Vessel said
It never fails to amaze me that when you speak to recent escapees they are very touchy about anything said against the Grand Poobah!
I was like that about JHS for a year or two after I left the peebs in my late teens. It's called cult indocrination, I guess. You just have to be patient in accepting where they're at, and gently, slowly show them another way - let them find out for themselves all the ghastly stuff that has been going on under the leadership of These Great Men, since Darby <'TGM' sarcasm fully inherent>

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Cult indoctrination can only be achieved by 'separation',keeping people from finding out that not everyone believes and acts like they do.People living in 'separation' are never in the position of being challanged on the reasons what they believe or why. I am firmly convinced this was the REAL reason behind the EB doctrine of 'separation'-it had nothing to do with being 'faithful' ,other than to the EB system...

No cult can allow following the scriptural principle of 'working out your own salvation' ,' searching the scriptures to see if these things are so'as the Bereans did, or to 'test the spirits' to see whether they were of God or not as there were many false prophets'* (1 John 4:2)

* which,based on the teachings,practices and lifestyle of EB so called 'leaders' ,I am of the firm conviction they WERE 'false prophets',no Christ of the gospels ever acted,taught or lived the way they did and that to me is the 'test'.None of them would even qualify for leadership under Pauls criteria for those aspiring to be be 'overseers' as detailed in his letter to Timothy. The ' handwriting on the wall' is ' measured, weighed in the balances and found wanting' and that in my opinion describes the EB/PBCC to a 'T'

The Questioner

Post by The Questioner » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:53 am

A couple of years ago someone 'joined' me - without my request- up to an ex-EB believers group. I was amazed at the number of people there who had merely transferred one set of cultic allegiances to another. They very heavily criticised me for daring to question 'god's servant' in the various forms represented by the likes of Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer, John Hagee and other thieves and charlatans.

It sometimes seems that you can take the man - of woman- out of the EB but you cannot take the EB out of the man.

Of course, it isn't just EB. Check out the sychophancy of Franklin Graham's Facebook followers send see what is said to anyone who questions what he says.

Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:16 pm

The Abolition of Hell

According to today’s Times, Pope Francis told La Repubblica that the souls of unrepentant sinners are not punished in the afterlife, but simply disappear.

“Hell doesn’t exist, the disappearance of the souls of sinners exists,” he told Eugenio Scalfari, a 93-year-old atheist philosopher, during a conversation in the Vatican.

Mr Scalfari says he reconstructs the conversations from memory, without taking notes or using a recorder.

See https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/worl ... -pwlv6l667