A young EB man killed in NSW cliff accident

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
Ian McKay

Re: A young EB man killed in NSW cliff accident

Post by Ian McKay » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:54 am

Learning how to do things safely is a long slow process that mostly occurs in childhood while the parents gradually give a child more and more freedom, commensurate with his ability to handle it. Learning how to converse without offending people is a rather similar process. Learning any life skill follows a similar pattern. But if you are brought up without any freedom at all you don’t learn how to handle it, and if at some stage you suddenly have a lot of freedom, then you are in danger.

That is probably why newly escaped ex-Brethren often make mistakes. Some of them unwittingly take grave physical risks; some of them make a mess of personal relationships; some of them make a mess of their financial affairs; some of them still don’t know how to distinguish truth and falsehood, and get caught up in some other abusive cult; some of them don’t know how to recognise sexual predators and are exploited; some of them, having rejected a false system of morality, have not had time to learn a sounder system of morality and they go wild; some of them offend their acquaintances because they don’t know the norms of civilised society and have lagged behind the moral progress that has occurred in most countries.

We see these facts in many of the biographies of ex-Brethren, but we also see that most of them eventually learn all the missing life-skills and make a good life for themselves.

The lesson for would-be escapees is that life will be difficult in the short term, but much better in the long term. The lesson for the rest of us is that they may need our help and a little understanding.

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:24 am

Some of us will remember the awful road accident in the 1980's in which one of Doug Siderfin's boys and his wife of about 6 weeks Kate (nee Banks of Reading) were both killed outright. It was the only time in my Brethren history that I saw many members openly weeping in grief in the meeting.

What I didn't find out, until much later, was that the car they were travelling in was on the wrong side of the road overtaking another vehicle and collided head on with an innocent member of the general public travelling in the opposite direction.

Had Siderfin survived, he may well have been jailed, but the Brethren never mentioned that.

It is a sad consideration, that you can never take an Exclusive Brethren story at face value. You invariably just get the part that suits them.

Will be interesting to see what the NSW coroner makes of the recent camping accident.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:14 pm

When anything bad happens to a member of the EB/PBCC it's 'vicarious',when something happens to someone who left,its 'governmental'.(when Dennis Burrowes who challanged JTjr on the validity of the 'eating matter' in 1960 by quoting 1 Corinthians 10:28 was summarily named as an 'evil person' and withdrawn from died at age 88 he was told on his deathbed that it was 'God's government' on him)I consider that a significant turning point in brethren history,the day they had to choose between respecting the authority of scripture or follow a man,and they chose to follow a man.Its been downhill ever since.In retrospect,we blew through so many 'red flags'that should have warned us something was terribly wrong but we chose not to heed.While many brethren were shocked at what happened to the meeting,was actually inevitable

I have never known the brethren to accept responsability for anything,but I guess when you are 'in the right position'* admitting anything could possibly be wrong is seen as the beginning of the slippery slope that begins the questioning process

*I remember it being said that 'even when we're wrong we're right because we were 'in the right position'whereas the truth is we were 'positionally wrong',the whole system was flawed that allowed evil to go unjudged and unchecked

Jacky Hart

Post by Jacky Hart » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:43 pm

I knew Katie Banks and remember that tragic accident well. It affected me pretty deeply at the time.

I also remember being told they were both killed in a head on collision going round a bend on the road. It is only now I find out the circumstances of that collision. :cry: Thank you for speaking the truth twotimothytwo.

Nottachurch

Post by Nottachurch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm probably clutching at the wrong end of a non-existent straw/stick here, but guess what 'church' group popped straight into my head when I read this article about people who:
a)Don't seem to have anything approaching the normal societal attitude to having fun outdoors;
b)Have an absolutely terrible idea of what the word 'friendship' means;
c)Don't give two shits about learning safe practice from others outside their group who have more experience.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/7 ... cue-called

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:47 pm

Has there been a coroner's inquest or report into this unfortunate death?

Having read of Bruce Hales's 'Better to die and die quickly' attitude to persons within his fellowship who reveal to outsiders what goes on inside their 'Places of Public Worship' and considering how long it took emergency services and the PBCC to find Jay Fowler's body, when he had apparently just gone to the toilet, one has to wonder whether this was a nasty accident, or was it another PBCC attempted cover up of a member's suicide?

Saying he was going to the toilet would merely have ensured that the young man got away from the others with no questions asked and without being followed.

The PBCC have history on this kind of thing.

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Wed May 18, 2016 9:29 am

To date, there seems to be no coroners report on this accident.

http://www.coroners.justice.nsw.gov.au/ ... mendations

I wonder why?

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:16 am

Jay Fowler. Tragic accidental death or carefully concealed suicide?

I can't find evidence of a coroner's report anywhere and it was a year ago now.

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:06 am

So very tragic, have we heard what actually happened to this poor boy?💝🙏💖😥
https://www.facebook.com/maitlandmercur ... 916141005/

No. We haven't. Despite the NSW Police allegedly making it a crime scene.
police are preparing a report for the coroner
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bod ... hklmi.html

At that point the trail goes cold.........

http://www.coroners.justice.nsw.gov.au/ ... dings.aspx