Exclusive Brethren Fellowship

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
twotimothytwo

Exclusive Brethren Fellowship

Post by twotimothytwo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:24 pm

To be 'in fellowship' with the recently renamed PBCC means exactly what?

It seems that on a whim, people not even interested in being 'in fellowship' find out that mysteriously, they have been ordained/included/nominated/elected/registered......as a member. So what is a 'member' and perhaps more pertinently, what is a non/ex-member and why are they vilified, harassed, treated as if dead, shunned by close family?

The bible, which the PBCC publicly claim to live by, is very clear on what Jesus has done. Even Darby's translation of 2 Corinthians 5:15 says
and he died for all

When questioning one's voluntary membership of a reputable organisation there is recourse in documented listings, fees paid, ballot results, disciplinary actions taken, dates, times etc. What do the PBCC have? Can a point of 'fellowship' have a date and time? Is it officially documented and on who's say so is membership terminated? Can a membership termination be challenged? Where are the organisation rules and guidelines kept? On what basis can those rules and guidelines be altered during the course of a membership? Are the changes documented? Are there differing rules for different members? Different rules for different races, skin colours or sexual orientations?

As a voluntary leaver, not shut up or withdrawn from, just deciding that as a fully grown adult I'd witnessed enough hypocrisy to last me several lifetimes and having aired my concerns for many months beforehand, why did the EB ( as they were known then) see fit to pursue me, precipitate my dear wife's mental breakdown by an unwanted visit to our home a full 10 years after making our position very clear?

Is it all down to the dictatorship of one man and his mainly wealthy cronies?

I DO NOT BELONG to their 'assembly' now, never did and never will, but in their unaccountable ways they may still consider I do! I don't care.

A miserable, gain seeking, careless group of people suffused with pride and arrogance is all I see from here.

Simon

Re: Exclusive Brethren Fellowship

Post by Simon » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:06 pm

A distinctive traditional Brethren teaching, particularly emphasised by JND and FER, is that there is only one fellowship, the fellowship of God’s Son, and it is not something that the PBCC or any other church has the power to confer or take away. All we can do is receive anyone whom Christ has received (Romans 14:3 and 15:7).

Membership of the PBCC is a completely different thing from the fellowship of God’s Son, and it has never been defined clearly enough to be unambiguous. Indeed, there is a legal dispute currently ongoing because of a legal document that attempts to define membership, but fails miserably.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Further to that, FER clearly stated that ‘there could be no such thing as a special fellowship within a fellowship’.JTsr was at those meetings where FER made that statement and rather than endorcing it, was reputed to waffle ,saying it ‘needed some thought’..I suggest rejecting FER’s teaching was a turning point in EB history ,Had the brethren adhered to that truth it might have spared us going down the path resulting in becoming a cult that disgraced the Christian testimony

The Questioner

Post by The Questioner » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:52 am

I've often advised people to formally resign membership, in writing.

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:38 am

The day we left I pushed a letter through Gordon Pollard's letterbox telling him we were leaving and did not wish to be contacted further. Cementing the point by going away for week to make our decision very clear, imagine our surprise ( not!) when within 10 minutes of returning he was calling us on the phone......then hourly, daily, weekly, different personnel.........so will you talk to me etc.......

They just cannot be seen to have 'control' taken out of their hands.

We found out later that EB had knocked on both of our neighbours' doors that week, trying to find out where we'd gone. An action they then repeated when we moved house a full 13 years after resigning.

But to turn up unannounced 10 years later, still claiming that we 'belonged to the assembly' was unforgivable. If that was the case for the EB then why is a meeting every night so important?......lol
Last edited by twotimothytwo on Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:31 pm

Uh,no,they didn’t withdraw from US, we withdrew from THEM ,on the basis of ‘2 Timothy 2,’withdrawing from iniquity’ ...and as for ‘being in the Assembly ’ that is NOT for the brethren to extend or take away,MY place in the ‘Assembly’ was secured the moment I accepted Christ as my saviour ..(no, you can’t be ‘born into the Assembly’,nor is ‘salvation’ obtained by being a member of some cult and they can’t take it away because I adamantly REFUSE to say some drunk caught in the sack was a ‘pure man’ ,sorry about that,actualy,NOT sorry and I’m not ‘questioning my salvation’ either ......what is really sad is brethren should KNOW this truth and not be ‘tossed and carried about by any wind of doctrine’ ...clearly they are untaught

The Erect Vessel

Post by The Erect Vessel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 am

As the years go by, and you have the time to have calm thoughtful ponderings on the brethies, there are only two things that matter to them, and I think in this order -

1) Alcohol
2) Money

Absolutely nothing to do with the Lord Jesus Christ that is written about in the bible. Their head honcho the opposite of Jesus as you could get.

I just feel sorry for the poor souls who have had a glimmer that what they are in, as being 100% all wrong, and can't see a way out of the cesspit.Plus the very real fear that if you do make a run for it and leave, the head honcho will make sure they do their level best to strip you of every family member, every link with your past -destroying family photos etc.. and last but not least every last penny you have, and do their best to bankrupt you as well, without a hint of remorse; if they feel a hint of remorse coming up, it is quickly cauterised with another scotch, and endless business meetings and more meetings and looking after someone else's little snotgobbling brats.

I just wish I had left when I was 4 years old, when I first realised it was all wrong and told my mum I didn't want to go back!

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 am

I’m really glad they call it the ‘exclusive Brethren Fellowship-from their actions, Its sure not the Lords fellowship( ‘my brethren are those that hear the word and do it).Is the ‘head honcho’ even a believer?..gotta admit, I have my doubts....anybody who could try and scare people by saying ‘if you question ‘our beloveds’ purity,you may as well question your eternal salvation’ makes me wonder ...(oh,by the way,I’m not scared)

another thing that angers me is how the cannon fodder faithfully ‘lives in separation’ and jumps when they say so(yes,yes,I know it’s an ‘individual exercise’) but does the leader follow the same rules?....doesn’t sound like it...