Leaving the Exclusive Brethren church: 'I just felt like I could do better outside'

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
LadyKiwi

Leaving the Exclusive Brethren church: 'I just felt like I could do better outside'

Post by LadyKiwi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:17 am

Three young Kiwi men tell how it was for them to leave the Exclusive Brethren (Plymouth Brethren Christian Church"

http://tinyurl.com/yclfz3eo This is a facebook page.

Ian McKay

Re: Leaving the Exclusive Brethren church: 'I just felt like I could do better outside'

Post by Ian McKay » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:57 am

This is a very well made 18-minute video in which three young men describe what it is like to leave the Hales sect in New Zealand. It is well worth watching, and contains some highly quotable quotes. In its first 5 hours it was watched 2,500 times and those who view it keep recommending it to others. It has only just appeared and already it is having a big impact.

We are already familiar with Craig Hoyle’s story, told more fully in other video clips and articles, but the other two were new to me. Here are some of the things they say.

Vaughan Thomas:
Growing up in the outside world was portrayed in an extremely terrifying manner really. If I were to leave I would be doomed to fail, not be happy, not achieve my goals in life. I would encounter unfriendly people who would use me for what I had to offer and then move on to the next person. They were all tools of the Devil, and that is where they were going to go. They were going to go to Hell, and if you left and you were there with them, that’s where you would go.
. . .
I had just over three hours’ notice to vacate the house of myself and all my possessions. . . .
The first thing I did was to drive away from the house and park up in a carpark lot. I ended up being taken in by someone who’d just met me.
. . .
I’ve also found the world to be much more interesting, much more entertaining and much more friendly than I ever thought possible. The caring nature of the average person is much more than I would ever have thought.
. . .
I count myself happy now. I’m not having that pressure to conform to something that I am not. And actually being who one really is, is the happiest thing that I could do.
Reuben Silby:
By no means to demean Dad, but he said, “I’d rather see you dead and in a coffin, having a Brethren burial, than leave the church and go out into the world.” . . . That’s a really harsh thing to say, that you’d actually prefer your oldest kid to be dead, in a coffin, under the ground.
. . .
[Speaking about people he happens to meet]:
They don’t look that evil actually, and yet we’re busy saying in the church that these people are on the highway to Hell. They look happy. “People in the world aren’t happy.” Well, they look really happy.
Maree (Reuben’s fiancée):
. . . the transition from a young man into a father, and what a fantastic job he’s done of it. I get comments all the time from my friends. Just watching him with my boys is just amazing. I think they [his parents] would be super-proud of him, and not even just that, just what he’s done with his career and his life. They would be very proud of him. I’m very proud of him, and it would be awesome to share that with them.
Reuben and Maree are getting married next year. They are parents to three children. Vaughan is engaged to be married to his partner and is a team leader in a healthcare company. Craig got a good university degree and became a successful journalist, and now lives in Hong Kong with his partner.