Distracted' 20-year-old driver who killed a motorcyclist has been spared jail

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
LadyKiwi

Distracted' 20-year-old driver who killed a motorcyclist has been spared jail

Post by LadyKiwi » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:51 pm

'Distracted' 20-year-old driver who killed a motorcyclist has been spared jail

A dashcam showed the driver was on the wrong side of the road when he collided with a motorbike.

A 20-year-old who killed a motorcyclist after his car drifted to the wrong side of the road has been spared jail because of his age.

Brooke Thomas Watney said he was 'distracted' when his smart car collided with 63-year-old Clive Kingsley on February 15, 2017.

Mr Kingsley's family told of their 'total devastation' after his death in a victim impact statement read in Cambridge Crown Court today (July 2).

Mr Kingsley had been on his way home from work when the crash happened in Long Lane, Fowlmere.

One witness, who lives in Long Lane, heard the crash and rushed out of her home. She said she saw Watney’s smart car “swerving, as if it was trying to regain control”.

Members of the public rushed to help Mr Kingsley, who had fallen into a bush at the side of the road by the collision.

Watney, whose car fell in a ditch following the crash, pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving earlier this year.

He said he did not remember what distracted him but that before the crash he looked down as he struggled to get his car into gear.

A dashcam, which had been in Watney’s car, was removed by his father at the scene of the crash but was later recovered by police at their home in Little Abington.

The footage showed Watney, of Westfield, Little Abington, was on the wrong side of the road when he collided with Mr Kingsley’s motorbike and that the bike was in full view of Watney’s car for three seconds before the crash.

Family tells of 'total devastation'
Mr Kingsley, a motorbike enthusiast, replaced his ‘dream’ bike with the one he was riding in the accident because he wanted to be ‘safer’, the court heard.

Watney told police he was ‘desperately sorry he [Kingsley] lost his life’ and said he had been left traumatised by the event.

Mr Kingsley’s family said they were devastated by the loss of their husband and father.

“Wednesday, February 15, 2017, is the day my life as I know it ended,” his wife, Sue Kingsley said in a victim impact statement.

She added: “Months on it’s still the same total devastation, my whole life will never be normal… when he died, part of me also died."

The couple had been together for 40 years, had two sons together and were about to start building their dream house.

Both sons spoke about the lasting impact their father’s death had on their family, especially their mother.

'He will live with the regret'
Miss Hunter QC, said in mitigation that Watney was genuinely sorry for the effects of his actions.

She said: “He is not a typical care free young person, he’s a deeply religious person in conscience and spirit, he’s a young man of committed faith. He has deeply felt the shame of the actions.”

She added: ”He will live with the regret over the tragedy he has caused for the rest of his life.

The court also heard how Watney, a member of the Plymouth Brethren, had already been given a community order by his church, which still has 17 months on it.

Watney was sentenced to eight months in prison, suspended for 18 months.

In sentencing judge David Farrell QC said: “You had ample opportunity, if paying attention, to steer out of the pathway of the motorbike and avoid the collision.”

He added: “In this case there is a realistic prospect of rehabilitation and strong personal mitigation, in particular your age and steps taken by you, and this will work with you to rehabilitate you following this tragic event.”

He was also disqualified from driving for two years, ordered to do 160 hours of unpaid work and pay prosecution costs of £500.

Judge Farrell QC said no sentence imposed by the court could ever be enough for Mr Kingsley’s family and praised their dignity throughout today’s proceedings.

http://tinyurl.com/ycnvet8u

The Questioner

Re: Distracted' 20-year-old driver who killed a motorcyclist has been spared jail

Post by The Questioner » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:36 pm

The court also heard how Watney, a member of the Plymouth Brethren, had already been given a community order by his church, which still has 17 months on it.
What on earth?

The Erect Vessel

Re: Distracted' 20-year-old driver who killed a motorcyclist has been spared jail

Post by The Erect Vessel » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:52 am

The crazy lifestyle of the brethren leads to this sort of thing. I well remember waking up from the noise of my car tyres on the wrong side of the road edge, after falling asleep at the wheel; this was after driving through the night back from some stupid meeting miles and miles from home and trying to work the following day with minimal or virtually no sleep.

Miraculously no vehicle was coming the other way, otherwise I wouldn't be here to tell the tale; but you don't forget these things. This guy was not so lucky(?) and interesting notion of ... 'had already been given a community order by his church'

They weren't around when I was in the cult. The Lord turned yet another corner perchance? Or was that divine light appearing before the fat waddler from Sydney?

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:16 am

a community order by his church
Polite for being 'shut-up' or 'withdrawn from' ?
A dashcam, which had been in Watney’s car, was removed by his father at the scene of the crash but was later recovered by police at their home in Little Abington.
Once again, attempted manipulation of evidence by members. Sounds very similar to the attempted clear up by PBCC members after Russell Stewart's fatal crash in NZ.

Isn't it about time the authorities began to 'join the dots' on these awful happenings and begin to see the bigger picture of arrogance, self-righteousness and a chronic disregard for the the law?

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:48 pm

The only way the authorities will ‘connect the dots’is if we keep all these apparent attempts to manipulate the justice system in the public eye...that the brethren are not what they appear to be.I find it particularly offensive that they can apprarently buy/mitigate the judgement they want by throwing enough money at it and it’s high time that was public knowledge .What is equally outrageous is the EB reaction to anybody daring to protest this appearant travesty that they ‘need to accept the courts decision’...

abishag

Post by abishag » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:04 am

This is the second tragic accident where the Brethren have tried to manipulate the outcome. First they 'clean up' an accident scene in New Zealand before the police arrive and here they remove the camera from their car involved in another fatal. Why? To manipulate the outcome and cover their guilt.

And these people are fine Christians. Never forget that. They love to bring this up in court. Makes them almost immune from prosecution. It's getting that way - that their QC's will soon stand up and say-

"Before we go any further in this case Your Honour, might I inform the court that the accused is a member of the Plymouth Brethren Christian Church!"

(Judge) "Oh well that changes the outcome entirely! Has he been put under discipline - or as we like to call it- a corrections order?"

(QC) "Oh yes Your Honour, he was 'shut up' as they like to call it almost immediately, and is under 'deep exercise"

(Judge) "Heavens - shut up hey - (intake of breath) and deep exercise - I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Meals under the door I expect? No visits from his siblings? I mean - there is nothing more for this court to do but commend the Brethren on their strict standards. One wonders if they are the only true court. Far be it from me to burden this poor young man any further. Shut up is he ? Sheeesh!"

If it wasn't so blatant and sad - it would be comical.

Balaam's Ass

Post by Balaam's Ass » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:30 am

Meals under the door? That would restrict it to thin base pizza then?

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:30 am

This is the second tragic accident where the Brethren have tried to manipulate the outcome.
I know of others. In one case many years ago a suicide note written by an EB member and found at the scene of his death, was removed by other EB before the police became involved. To achieve an open verdict from a coroner, instead of confirmed suicide, is a 'victory' for the 'position' held by the EB.

What of the killer of Mrs Esther Soper of Plymouth in 1976? He/she has never been found.

What about the death of Tamsyn Whiteman in her own bath tub?

What about the demise of Jay Fowler, apparently fell 100's of feet to his death whilst relieving himself.

Some of us will remember the awful road accident in the 1980's in which one of Doug Siderfin's boys and his wife of about 6 weeks Kate (nee Banks of Reading) were both killed outright. It was the only time in my Brethren history that I saw many members openly weeping in grief in the meeting.

What I didn't find out, until much later, was that the car they were travelling in was on the wrong side of the road overtaking another vehicle and collided head on with an innocent member of the general public travelling in the opposite direction.

Had Siderfin survived, he may well have been taken to court, but the Brethren never mentioned that.