Maitland Council approves Chisholm church as Brethrens double-down on 6am start

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
LadyKiwi

Post by LadyKiwi » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:57 am

A controversial development application for a Plymouth Brethren church at Chisholm has been given the green light by Maitland City Council.

Councillors delayed making a decision when the application for a place of worship at Harvest estate was first raised at council a fortnight ago, amid concerns over its 6am service starting time on Sundays.

However, there were no such issues on Tuesday, with all councillors except Cr Nicole Penfold and Cr Mitchell Griffin voting in favour of approving the development.

Cr Peter Garnham was absent.

Cr Ben Whiting said he could understand why councillors were initially hesitant to approve the application – but ultimately, the proposal was “compliant” and he couldn’t find a reason to vote against it.

“I can understand concern from council...6am is certainly an early time for neighbours...but it is a compliant development,” the Labor councillor said.

Cr Griffin said his “opinion hasn’t changed from the last meeting” and that he couldn’t support the development.

He said he didn’t think it was fair that residents in Seasons Circuit, moving to the area under the pretense of living in a peaceful and quiet street, would have to put up with the early-morning services and increased traffic.

The approval comes after Cr Donald Ferris moved an amendment at the June 12 meeting that council postpone a decision until the applicant, Maitland Gospel Trust, was contacted regarding changing the starting times for Sunday service.

The owners responded by doubling down on the early-morning service, replying to council that “The Lord’s Supper, or Holy Communion, is central to our lives”.

“The time is a nonnegotiable universal custom based on Scripture,” the applicants replied.

“It is celebrated each first day of the week by every member of the Plymouth Brethren worldwide and it serves to hold our community together in the bond of Christian fellowship and in committal to the Lord Jesus Christ.”

Documentation supplied by the applicant stated that all efforts had been made to ensure noise is kept to a minimum, such as the choice of site, only having one direct neighbour, and the positioning of the carpark.

The applicant also proposed that landscaping between the two properties could be undertaken.

http://tinyurl.com/y95qud5r

Ian McKay

Re: Maitland Council approves Chisholm church as Brethrens double-down on 6am start

Post by Ian McKay » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm

“The time is a nonnegotiable universal custom based on Scripture,” the applicants replied.
The 6 a.m. starting time is not based on scripture and it is only universal if you ignore the parts of the universe that are not the Christian Church, and ignore the parts of the Christian Church that are not Brethren and ignore the many branches of Brethren that are not the Hales sect. No sect can pretend to be the universe, no matter how inflated their self-esteem or presumptuous their pretences.

There was a time when JTJr pretended that a 9 a.m. starting time was based on scripture. That pretence was equally spurious.

Since the original supper was celebrated in the evening, and was a sort of successor to the Passover feast, an evening starting time would be more arguably based on scripture.

The Questioner

Re: Maitland Council approves Chisholm church as Brethrens double-down on 6am start

Post by The Questioner » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:05 pm

EB hubris means that they do not understand the word 'universal'. They think that because something happens in EB land in both Australia a spud the US it must happen everywhere in the world. And they make no attempt to provide the scripture from which they derive their rule: because there isn't one.

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:59 pm

a nonnegotiable universal custom based on Scripture
Ah yes, of course. I remember the same being said about the brethren ban on mobile phones, computers, non-wearing of head coverings, guitars ( yes, very frowned on in the late 1960's), sharing of business premises, moving to other meetings to live etc etc. Just until it happens to suit them.

PATHETIC PEOPLE WITH PATHETIC RULES AND NO SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:05 pm

Funny,I would have thought an example of a ' non negotiable universal custom based on scripture' might be something like not being drunk,telling the truth or denouncing the love of money,or even following Pauls ministry on the qualifications of leadership...

Yes,they had some rather convoluted reasoning for setting meeting times,remember the care meeting was at 12noon because our judgements were to be as the' noon day sun',and then the lords day meetings were 9,12 and 3 theoretically corresponding to the sufferings of Christ on the cross.Mid week meetings were to be right after work.
After Aberdeen ,the first to go was the 6 am meeting...I remember rolling over in bed at 6 and going back to sleep...oh joy!

The Erect Vessel

Post by The Erect Vessel » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 am

When the wonderful powerful ministry came out by beloved beloved our beloved loved Jimbo The Pedo Alcy that 9, 12 and 3 was a divine principle. Then of course he visited his son in law in Sydney and the divine principle took a double swerve degree of difficulty 9.9 and as usual the Lord got the blame and He turned a corner! Yay! 6am became the divine principle mark IV.

Bunch of evil cult nutters is One's cynical view this beloved day. Still damaging the next generation and the next... When will Beedy and his gang get busted.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 pm

'Still damaging the next generation and the next'...using your God given brain to think for yourself has been systematically bred* out of these poor souls rendering them docile and dependent as farm sheep ,unable to think or fend for themselves -totally vulnerable to what Paul calls 'every wind of doctrine' .All cults,and the brethren are no diferent, supress 'natural reasoning ' and at the same time demand 'Obediance.Anybody who dared to challenge the blatant hypocricy left years ago...

'When will Beedy and his gang get busted' might be closer to the truth than you think...typically what happens is their attitude of entitlement catches up with them....'give them enough rope' isn't just a figure of speech ...Deja vue

* anybody who is required to get permission to marry from the leader or denied birth control is proof enough of selective breeding and a couple of generations of EB have paid off in producing ideal 'assembly material'akin to caged gerbils running in an excercise wheel ,going fast,going nowhere-just so?

The Erect Vessel

Post by The Erect Vessel » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:57 am

Recent research is showing up that serious incidents such as children getting removed from their parents has its effect for up to and possibly three generations on - even when that third generation did not know the person affected. 'It didn't start with you' is the book I am specifically referring to by Mark Wolynn.
Any trapped EB reading this page just now, do yourselves a favour and go and buy the book and read it.

On a parallel thought - not much wonder there has been so much outcry about the evil perpetrated in America recently with parents being separated from their children in detention centres - the damage goes 'way beyond the here and now.
Personally I believe I have a direct understanding of these things and they are no joke.

The bible speaks about it too “Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.”

King James Version (KJV) Exodus 35:7

So, it has been known for a long long time - there is also the direct links as well, having seen with my own eyes kids damaged with parents imbibation of too much alcohol resulting in examples such as mothers who drank during pregnancy giving their kids Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder for which there is no cure.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:34 am

Being a long time foster parent I am all too familiar with FASD,and after generations of 'strong drink' not just mandated but insisted on I wonder how many EB kids are affected? Beloved JT' left a terrible legacy to the brethren with his'creature of God'and decades after his death,it's still ruining lives and killing people (no,I am not a teetotaller,I enjoy my ONE glass of wine with dinner every night )

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:43 am

I enjoy my ONE glass of wine with dinner every night )
In the 1980's an EB decree was sent out to devotees that one drink was sufficient. The response? Serve drinks in a bucket sized tumbler that you sipped before, during and after dinner. I witnessed Brethren people making a pint drink out of beer and spirit mixed.......It's what Brethren do all the time, stick to the 'rules' and miss the point of the whole thing. Moderation.

Fisherman, you could have two smaller glasses or half of a bigger glass if you wished!