Plymouth Brethren follower caught drink-driving has bond under question over communion commitments, Armidale Local Court

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
LadyKiwi

Plymouth Brethren follower caught drink-driving has bond under question over communion commitments, Armidale Local Court

Post by LadyKiwi » Wed May 09, 2018 12:46 am

A PLYMOUTH Brethren Christian Church follower’s ability to accept a good behaviour bond has come under question at Armidale Local Court.

Jeremy Faiers, 25, pleaded guilty to low-range drink-driving in March, and appeared on Monday and Tuesday.

Defence solicitor Emalie Hurcum requested a behaviour bond with no convictions, but Magistrate Michael Holmes argued the Brethren Church has previously found issue with bonds outside the one they have with God.

“They can’t even accept a Section 10 bond from my experience in the past,” he said.

“There must be a body in the Brethren that makes these determinations, I’m well aware the Brethren has a substantial involvement in this community, I understand the problems they face from time to time and one of those problems is too much drink.

“I want some sort of letter from the elders.”

Faiers had gone to his parent’s house for lunch and was pulled over on his way home from a church service for a random breath test on February 18, the court heard, and blew 0.054.

“He’s expressed his remorse, it has been extremely humiliating for him – he poured himself the drinks and didn’t realise he would be over the limit,” Ms Hurcum said.

“I had a brief discussion with Mr Faiers and his father, they instructed in their understanding there’s a fundamental historical belief that a bond meant they could not participate in communion,” she said.
...in their understanding there’s a fundamental historical belief that a bond meant they could not participate in communion.

Emalie Hurcum
“That interpretation may have been incorrect.”

Faiers works for Paperware and travels up to 2000 kilometres a week, so would need to retain his licence, the court heard.

He has purchased a portable breathalyser for $379 and completed the Traffic Offenders Program.

Mr Fares purchased a portable breathalyser for $379.

The matter was adjourned until May 21.

http://tinyurl.com/ybx6vnq2