WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm 

Watch a new star appearing

The star of Bethlehem, which is said to have appeared around the time of Jesus’ birth, has been treated as historically dubious for a number of reasons. One of these reasons is that hardly anyone has ever seen a new star or knows that new stars sometimes appear. However, if you watch the constellation Cygnus in the year 2022, astronomers are predicting that you will see a new star appearing.

The explanation is that the constellation contains a pair of stars orbiting round each other, both of them too faint to see by the naked eye, but around 2022 they are expected to merge and increase in brightness by a factor of about 10,000, making them clearly visible as a reddish new star. It would be rather nice if it appeared in time for Christmas.

If you are familiar with some of the very distinctive constellations in the Northern sky, you will be able to find Cygnus from the image at http://www.woodland-ways.co.uk/blog/wp- ... ygnus1.jpg

Astronomers have seen new stars appearing before now, but this is the first time they have predicted one. You can read about it in a press release from Calvin College Michigan, at
https://calvin.edu/news/archive/astrono ... -night-sky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:13 am 

An Israeli Rabbi, Yosef Berger, has said the birth of a new star in 2022 will herald the coming of the Messiah. He cites a passage in Numbers and one in The Zohar. See https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2630486/r ... l-messiah/

He fails to mention that every star was at one time a new star, so the formation of a new star must have happened many times, usually without any specific religious significance. I hope his prediction does not trigger some widespread irrational behaviour.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:46 am 

I understand that the KIC 9832227 star system is some 1800 light years away from Earth, so presumably what we will see in 2022 is the result of what actually happened in 222CE.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:42 pm 

Quote:
the KIC 9832227 star system is some 1800 light years away from Earth, so presumably what we will see in 2022 is the result of what actually happened in 222CE.

That is true. The last time I saw a new star appearing was in September 2011, when a new star appeared near the Great Bear constellation, and then faded away again. That one was 21 million light years away, so we witnessed an event that had actually occurred 21 million years earlier.

It wasn’t strictly a new star: it was a newly visible star, a supernova. It suddenly became visible because it underwent an immensely energetic explosion. It is in these explosions that the heavy chemical elements are produced, some of which have finished up on earth and are essential for life. If these violent events had never happened, we would not be here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:03 pm 

I'm guessing that this is impossible to reconcile with a young earth creationism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:46 pm 

Quote:
I'm guessing that this is impossible to reconcile with a young earth creationism.

Nearly impossible. To reconcile young-earth creation with the observable facts of biology, astronomy and geology is very difficult. It requires elaborate, ingenious and implausible theorising along the lines of Gosse’s Omphalos theory. It also requires belief in a deceitful God, whose works deliberately contradict his word.

However, I am not suggesting that the creation story in Genesis should be dismissed or ridiculed. It has great cultural value as an expression of the values, aspirations, problems, hopes and fears of mortals like ourselves. It just shouldn’t be classified as history or science.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:45 pm 

The creation stories recounted in religion served a purpose in times gone by I guess.

However these have been superseded as our understanding of these things has increased. The scientific creation account that Ian summarises is a wondrous thing, not least for being evidence based.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:25 pm 

The account in Genesis is wonderful, useful and meaningful today as ever. It is just not a scientific account, nor can it give dates or absolutely accurate historic evidence.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 pm 

I believe the account of 'creation' as told in Genesis is accurate ( in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth) ,but the TIMETABLE is human conjecture...if anything ,I think 'creation'is (which is not static but STILL taking place ) is far older ,far more complicated ,and far more vast than human mind can ever even comprehend,let alone define or measure, bringing us back to apprehending by faith alone,precisely as God intended it to be....one of the reasons,apart from science I am not a 'young earth' advocate is that you can get your head around a mere 5000 years or so,but NOT the hundreds of billions of years creation likely involves ,requiring 'faith' not 'sight' to comprehend ,in fact all that we have ever learned with advanced technology is the heavens are far older and vast than we previously thought and the more we learn,the more we realise we don't

The only thing that makes any sense to me ,that you can start out with NOTHING ,absolutely NOTHING and end up with SOMETHING ,is that there has to be some supernatural force OUTSIDE the created sphere that initiated the whole process...and that's as close as I can get my head around it

I highly recommend viewing the IMAX showing of the Universe as seen from the Hubble telescope...absolutely incredibly awe inspiring..'' The heavens declare the glory of God' as the ancients concluded on seeing the night sky in the desert on cold clear night ,probably sitting around a fire of dried camel dung...