WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 am 

Various authors have said Darby’s influence on the spread of dispensationalism in the USA was exerted indirectly via the very popular Schofield reference Bible, not directly by Darby’s visits there. See for instance R. Todd Mangum and Mark S. Sweetnam, The Scofield Bible: Its History and Impact on the Evangelical Church, Paternoster, 2009.

Although the USA is the stronghold of fundamentalism, it is on the decline there, as many surveys have shown. It has also changed in character, becoming strongly associated with USA politics, at least in the statistical sense that supporters of right-wing political policies usually profess belief in fundamentalist teachings, whereas Democrat sympathisers rarely do.

So for instance we now hear some USA citizens interviewed on TV voicing support for white supremacy, theocratic government, demolition of mosques and going to war, while staunchly declaring that all these policies are based on the Bible and have God’s support.

Well, of course, so they are, if you select only those bits of the Bible that suit your politics and ignore most of the New Testament and all the ministry of Jesus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:45 pm 

ALL cults including the EB are very good at cherry picking the bits that suit their purposes*and studiously ignoring everything else in the bible (or old ministry,that they claim but don't follow) that knocks the props out from under them....'if JND said it, that's good enough for me' with no further study needed.....unless of course you are reading what JND said about refusing to fellowship with any group claiming to be the Church....'blinders' and unswerving 'obediance' are essential to being a good EB....

* the epitome has to be JHS using 'God doth not take pleasure in the legs of a man' ( psalm 147:10)to justify his rediculous ban on men wearing shorts,and no, that's NOT 'just another myth surrounding the brethren ,I'm afraid' to quote Daniel Hales...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:05 pm 

Ian, Iaian G. Makes some logical points. I suppose I am/have been predisposed to believe logical alternatives are not available in " non dispensational" (what's the proper name?) reasoning.

I begin to get an idea of an alternative perspective. Israel and the church are not separate entities I gather. If so, the timing of the rapture as I have understood it becomes highly suspect. I think that means I will have to try to better understand this alternative perspective, or disregard it entirely, or throw up me hands and read Shakespeare instead.

One point from Iaians comments relates to circumcision. If Paul is the teacher of Christian thought and practice, I have to wonder why Timothy was circumcised as a Christian, and Titus was as a Christian not circumcised. Paul is confused, or hypocritical, or I just don't get it or what?

Thanks for the article TQ, have not looked yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:24 pm 

I expect Timothy was brought up in the Jewish faith, since his mother and grandmother were Jewish, so he was probably circumcised as an infant before being converted to Christianity. Titus was Greek, so probably not circumcised.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:19 am 

I will have to look it up, but I am quite certain that Paul circumcised Timothy as an adult and after Paul had begun teaching what we call Christian doctrine. Then too my memory thinks Timothy was the one with a Greek father. Not sure about Titus nationality, but I think Paul was involved when it talks about Titus not being circumcised. Maybe I've crossed my wires though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:33 pm 

Mailonline the UK web newspaper had an article on the rapture today.

Projected date 23 September

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:21 am 

Humbled wrote:
Mailonline the UK web newspaper had an article on the rapture today.

Projected date 23 September

That is a short timeline. Considering only the peebs are being raptured, if we are smart enough we need not work again considering the 'valuables' that will be left lying around needing 'protection'. This just enough time to verify addresses that will need an immediate visit.

:twisted: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:26 am 

What a relief then. Mail online says 23 September for the rapture. Which year? Hopefully not this year since I had not heard that BDH was informed of this. Maybe he heard today. Didn't Noah get a 7 day heads up on the flood?

Ian, In looking back at Acts 16 and Galatians 2 it looks to me like Paul circumcised Timothy in anticipation of taking him with on a trip to see how the saints were getting on in places where he had been before announcing the glad tidings. It sort of looks like Titus (Greek as you say) was with him, although it may have been a different visit. He says Titus was not compelled to be circumcised. The question as to Pauls intentions in seemingly dismissing circumcision in some places (Galatians 5 etc), while at the same time taking and circumcising Timothy is puzzling. I assume I have missed something about this. Maybe theres a logical answer out there somewhere.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:02 am 

Perhaps Paul was not perfect. Perhaps he sometimes got it wrong or changed his mind on occasion. Perhaps he was not setting out absolute rules for all things for all times.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:03 am 

Maybe circumcising Timothy to appease the Jews was an example of Paul being all things to all people, as described in 1 Corinthians 9:20-23.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next