Fear of Hell, and Homeopathy

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
The Questioner

Re: Fear of Hell, and Homeopathy

Post by The Questioner » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Simple fact: no-one knows. Not even either of the popes, RC or EB.

PosterChild

Post by PosterChild » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:38 pm

According to me the pope is wrong and Jesus surely knows. No amount of disbelief will abolish any of Gods reality. This is a fact, not in my opinion an opinion. :o :shock:

Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:09 am

There is another article about the Pope’s views in today’s issue of The Times (the UK daily newspaper). It repeats what The Sunday Times said, and adds some comment from the Vatican and others.
The Vatican press office confirmed a meeting but insisted it did not amount to an interview. “No words in quotation marks should be considered as a faithful transcription of the Holy Father’s words,” it added.

However, Antonio Socci, a Catholic author and journalist, accused the Pope of preaching heresy and said he should be removed.

Another Vatican expert, who asked not to be identified, said of the Pope: “He’s a very strange theologian, assuming Scalfari properly understood what he was saying. He increases confusion among ordinary Catholics, who no longer know what to believe.” The expert said he tended to believe Scalfari more than the Vatican, saying: “If someone traduces your thoughts, you don’t keep inviting him back.”
If Scalfari’s report is accurate, the Pope has dismissed the picture of Hell developed by the church in the middle ages, a picture of Jesus’ very own torture chamber, and reverted to a reasonable interpretation of the Holy Scriptures.

See https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -mhnvk0hv6

The Questioner

Post by The Questioner » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:40 am

Jesus often gets the blame for the images we have of hell. The reality is somewhat different. Most of what is thought of as hell was invented by the very church the Pope leads.

Peter W Harrison

Post by Peter W Harrison » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 am

PosterChild wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:38 pm
According to me the pope is wrong and Jesus surely knows. No amount of disbelief will abolish any of Gods reality. This is a fact, not in my opinion an opinion. :o :shock:
I venture a response to PC because this kind of deduction prevails among the many, and I suggest is to the detriment of themselves and their ilk. When it is a question of opinion or fact regarding our beliefs or disbeliefs, humility would require that we may not insist them to be fact simply because it supports my reality. Personally I feel safe in accepting historical record that in the Spanish Inquisition period people were cruelly tortured in order to force a confession which might save them from the horror of eternal torment; and in our time people are threatened with eternal damnation if they discredit the leader of their cult.

People carry out these cruel practices because they believe their deity sanctions cruelty. They have been conditioned to think this way and if they dared to doubt, then they put themselves at risk for damnation.

I was in this position when I was thrown out of the EB fellowship in 1982. I lost respect for the hierarchy and their fear tactics. I then dared to think that God would not be so cruel and unfair, and that perhaps we had got it wrong. I then accepted that I was answerable to God not men, as to how I thought about the Supreme Being. This gave me a peace which has remained and has liberated. I have an abiding sense of accountability to God which guides me and frees from the fear of man.

I hope this personal experience may be of help to others.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:19 am

'For it is appointed once for man to die and after that the judgement' ....Accepting that I am 'answerable to God 'is a very sobering concept ....