WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:58 pm 

Don’t wait and chat after the meetings. You mustn’t have special friendships. “I'm insisting on it.”

Ministry of B. D. Hales Vol. 88 (Maitland, 26 June 2009)

Page 260
Quote:
S.H.P. No, I was just thinking of your exhortation to leave quickly after the meetings.
B.D.H. Yes.
S.H.P. Would that have some bearing, and help practically?
B.D.H. Well, it would. See, whether we believe in it. See, our beloved brother, our beloved brother carried a concern about it. You love the young people, of course you love them. But, see, the groups don't help, the groups of young people don't help. To mature is the critical matter, to see what manhood is, what maturity is. Not to go back to them, make a stand, just make a simple declaration. There's so much on hand, there's so much to go in for, there's so much—time is so short, isn't it? See, to go home and follow something up. How else am I going to be formed? I could lose, I could lose any impression I get in the meeting. I mean, you go through these exercises when you're young.
One distinctly remembers a point in one's life when you just couldn't, you didn't, you didn't wait around for anything, you had got something in the meeting, and you didn't want to lose it. The other thing was you didn't have any special friends. They're the bane. No special friends.

Page 262
Quote:
See, our brother has brought it up, Mr. Stephen has brought up about the groups, and the waiting fifteen minutes. See, why don't we do it? Well, we're doing it after these three-day meetings, I'm insisting on it. They go immediately, immediately, proceed immediately. It's like you have to get out because of a fire, just go straight to the exit doors, and straight to your means of transport. Is that fair enough?
S.H.P. So that would be pattern for us?
B.D.H. Yes, that's pattern for us at these meetings. I mean, that might mean you get to your means of transport in five minutes, mightn't you? What's wrong with that?

Page 263-264
Quote:
I don't hesitate to deal with young people straight on the knocker, straight between the eyes, Get going, stop talking to those girls, get, get out of here. Get hold of my boy, Get out of here, just get moving on now, okay, now? Well, you need that kind of authority.

Page 265-266
Quote:
K.J.O. It refers to a king against, against whom none can rise up.
B.D.H. Yes.
K.J.O. Is that what was demonstrated then really?
B.D.H. Sure it was. And that's what we need in every local assembly, we need absolute monarchy.

The Bible and Gospel Trust claims copyright of the above quotations.

There is plenty of evidence to show that the leaders all had special friendships, but they condemn special friendships that they are not part of. Are they afraid cliques may become conspiracies, and conspiracies may become rebellions? Is this a sign of insecurity or paranoia?

An extraordinary aspect of these extracts is that BDH seems to think he is entitled to tell people where, when and with whom they may chat. This is not just “absolute monarchy”. This is dictatorship of an extreme kind.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am 

I seem to remember the same and I left long before Hales' time. I guess Symington had the same notion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:30 pm 

Yes, Questioner, the rule about going straight home and not chatting after the Lord’s Supper was introduced by Jim Traylor and confirmed by Jim Symington, but it was John Hales and now Bruce Hales that extended it to apply to other meetings.

John Hales in particular stressed it scores of times. It seemed almost like an obsession. In his case it seemed to be a particular dislike of seeing young men chatting in groups. He referred to a history in Sydney of “One political uprising after another. Proud, haughty, self-assertive men, getting control of the assembly,” See New Series Vol. 27 page 335. He also complained about criticism after the meetings. Maybe he was afraid the young men were making fun of what he had said, or were fostering dissent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 am 

Oh we wouldn't do that now Ian would we? Poking fun at whats Erect in our day would be a serious matter. A matter of concern! Could become fixed, and become very serious, and lead to questions as to whether The Lord would take up such a person's case eh?

Back to being serious now. JHS, JSH and Beedy all show and showed signs of paranoia. One example that had me scratching my head and no doubt talked to other young brothers after the meeting about, was security which JHS brought in. I remember the first time we had security at a three day meetings the poor old security guard was so bored out of his brains he wandered around and around the meeting room car park and picked up one coin, two pins and a pen (Not quite accurate with the items! but you get the drift!)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:17 am 

If the leaders were not paranoid, they would have to act as if they were. A lot of the ministry looks like a deliberate attempt to engineer fear of the big bad outside world, and the paranoid behaviour is possibly part of that indoctrination. They tell their followers lots of false things about the evil world around them to engineer distrust and convince them that their safety depends on remaining within their exclusive fellowship.

Another possible reason for paranoid behaviour is that the leaders feel their position is insecure, and fear that their followers might someday see through their sham and stop obeying their commands. That might account for their constant discouragement of special friendships (except for their own special friendships) and family connections (except for their own family connections). A rival leader can only emerge if he has his own network of supporters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:38 am 

Yes Ian I agree with that. I remember when I started to see through the peebs (very dimly to begin with I admit), the anger of the priests, and their indignation as they came to visit and admonish me.

For the first time, I observed them, and watched as they lost their temper at me, and I just looked at them; curious; intrigued at their tempers and lack of self control. It was a 'light bulb moment' for me, and although looking back, such a lot to learn after I finally broke free from their wickednesses.

Looking back, is it any wonder so many of them took to the drink - plenty excuse to, from their head honchos - to drown out their consciences and in the words of our brother Billy Joel - forget about life for a while.

Poor deluded souls. I feel for them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 pm 

'Can't have special friendships' ...how did they deal with entertaining?-we used to invite anybody home we wanted, or is that done by telling you who you could entertain? I well remember my father meeting with several long time friends and they would voice their fears about what was going on( no co incidence that most of that group left with us in 1970,Aberdeen was just the catalyst ) I think the 'meeting every night' was an attempt to stop people from having friends over

All this reminds me of the efforts Communist states went to find out who was talking to who....the political officer kept tabs on everybody? so did the EB.You were seen talking to somebody-you could expect a knock at the door..EVERYTHING about the EB is a red flag that this is a cult....