WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:01 pm 

Twenty-seven Places where Exclusive Brethren have been forbidden to go

Newsagents’ shops, cinemas, theatres or “any other place”. Perhaps he means any other church.
Quote:
The authority of darkness, it’s like-we’re talking about going to that newsagent’s door. As soon as you walk into the area of a place of darkness, and we don’t like even to name them, but we know what they are. You could start with just the theatre, the wretched rotten filthy theatres, the cinemas . . . But as soon as you go through the door you’re in the company of darkness, as soon as you cross the threshold you’re immediately under the influence of darkness. The question is to come out of that authority, get; out of it, come out of the authority of darkness. God has provided for us. Or any other place, any other place you go, as soon as you cross the door you come under that influence.
BDH Vol. 53 page 111 (Sydney, 15 July 2006)

Football, baseball or cricket matches
Quote:
going in a common entrance and paying, or maybe getting in without paying, in a common entrance and sitting with a common crowd, watching a football match or a baseball match or a cricket match, and barracking with the crowd, that’s a link with the world, that’s a direct involvement with the world.
BDH Vol. 17 page 6 (Sydney, 4 May 2003)

Car, bike, horse or dog races
Quote:
I hope no one is going to the racetrack, racetrack, car races, bike races, horse races, dog races; it’s the pits.
BDH Vol. 73 page143 (Newcastle, Australia, 20 March 2008)

Saloon bars and billiard halls
Quote:
B.D.H. What was your recollection of J.H.S.’s brief spelling out of Romans 6?
R.G.H. The football field, saloon bar, the cinemas.
B.D.H. Yes. Did he include billiards? Maybe not. The billiard hall at one point?
R.G.H. Yes. He used to vary it each time.
BDH Vol. 17 page 6 (Sydney, 4 May 2003)

Restaurants
Quote:
Certain unacceptable features based on irrefutable witness and universal report are as follows Attending venues of worldly entertainment, including restaurants.
BDH Vol. 17 page 25 (divinely inspired epistle of May 2003 read out at Sydney, 6 May 2003)

Hotels and bars
Quote:
if younger persons have ever been attracted by going to hotels or bars you can get to the point where even the smell of the beer or the smell of the place becomes utterly obnoxious to you.
BDH Vol. 85 page 241 (Castlemaine, 25 March 2009)

Anywhere with a billiard table, even at home
Quote:
Well, I’ve been severe against billiard tables, but I’m not going to give up on that, because billiard tables associate themselves in my mind with places that we shouldn’t have been.
BDH Vol. 108 page 49 (Warragul, 2 February 2011)

Bowling alleys and amusement parks
Quote:
bad literature, worldly music, and all this other stuff, you know, theatres, cinemas, you name it, bowling alleys, amusement parks, worldly entertainment, all that area that the devil has at his disposal to trap us, bars, you know, clubs, all this great range that’s the life of this world
BDH Vol, 46 page 57 (Sydney, 10 December 2005)

Pyrotechnic displays
Quote:
get clear, just make a declaration. Mingling with worldly crowds . . . amidst the throng of worldly people watching the fireworks or whatever. It’s ridiculous really, but still. But be man enough to acknowledge it
BDH Vol. 107 page 258 (Sydney, 23 January 2011)

Public swimming pools
Quote:
Keep them out of the public swimming pools, and that kind of stuff,
BDH Vol. 78 page 228 (Kalamunda, 16 August 2008)

Private swimming pools
Quote:
Why anyone would thing they could justify having a swimming pool in their house, I can’t understand. lt came up in the sixties, our beloved made it crystal clear. And it’s been restated since. It’s an issue. Our beloved called it compromise, it’s an issue, it’s an assembly issue should be regarded as such.
BDH Vol. 23 page 126 (Sydney, 22 November 2003)

Quote:
But he just, just completely, completely spoke against the idea of having swimming pools . . . Our beloved said that it was the way the devil would get into our houses.
BDH Vol. 23 page 175 Lilydale, 26 November 2003)

Quote:
it’s stupid, foolishness, to go back to swimming pools it’s just — it’s an issue anyhow, it’s a test of fellowship, as far as I’m concerned, a test of fellowship.
BDH Vol. 30 page 177 (Perth, Australia, 16 July 2004)

Other churches
Quote:
So this is a church, we’re in a church here, beloved young people, this is a church. It you go to church you’re expected to be a believer in Jesus. Can’t say that about all the churches round about. Don’t go there, you won’t get salvation.
BDH Vol. 102 page 562 (Penrith, 29 August 2010)

Any place where there is no meeting; i.e. most countries and most cities.
Quote:
he brought out or stated that you wouldn’t stay overnight in a place where there was no meeting, for business, you wouldn’t stay overnight there
BDH Vol. 47 page 7 (Sydney, 1 January 2006)

Beaches
Quote:
Well, we've had it spoken about the beaches; somebody still going to the beaches, that's an issue right away. The Lord has pronounced on the thing, and that's final, it's His word. Somebody still doing it defiantly, that's an issue, that's all.
JSH New Series Vol. 27 page 439 (Sydney, 18 January 1975)

Colleges
Quote:
J.T.Jr. Better if you had never gone to school, all these people who went to colleges, better if they never went. Like J. there, what in the world did he go to school for, or college? Look at him, you can see he is a nut. What is the use of going to college? I never went to college, what do you think I would go to college for? My father never went to college, what do you think I would go to college for? My father never went to college, and I followed him. That is the way to do, follow your father. He does not go to college, you do not go.
Readings At Nostrand Avenue and Other Ministry, Vol. 2, pages 101-102 (Preston, 17-19 July 1970)

Universities
Quote:
So we need to be clear why we don't go to universities.
John S. Hales (original series) Vol. 13 page 165-166 (Sydney 31 Aug 1988)

Quote:
Somebody asked me, could they go to the university for a lecture? I said, I wouldn't go near the place, I wouldn't go in its doors. Now you might think I'm extreme, somebody might have to go and do some business there. Well, I wouldn't, that's all, I wouldn't send a young person there anyhow.
John S. Hales (original series) Vol. 62 page 28 (Sydney 5 Jun 1991)

The Zoo
Quote:
B.D.H. Yes, I'm not encouraging anything about a zoo, okay? I'm not really in favour of zoos.
BDH Vol. 125 page 37 (Sydney, 7 July 2012)

Libraries
Quote:
don’t go near the library. You don’t need to go to the library to find out some product, about some product, don’t need to do that. Get someone else to do it for you. Pay someone, pay someone. It would be a lot cheaper than going down there wasting your time fiddling about.
BDH Vol. 53 page 151 (Sydney, 22 July 2007)

The Bible and Gospel Trust claims copyright of nearly all the above quotations.

It will be interesting to keep a count of how many of these rules are openly discarded. Some of them are already being ignored, but usually not openly. Leaders still say that not one of these great men's words fell to the ground.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:03 am 

A mild little cough...
Quote:
horse races,
... was there not a brother with a last name of Hales who was rather fond of going there?

Just inquiring of course... on behalf of the young... another mild little cough.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:24 am 

[quote="Ian McKay"]Twenty-seven Places where Exclusive Brethren have been forbidden to go

Newsagents’ shops, cinemas, theatres or “any other place”. Perhaps he means any other church.
No problems now and they get Sunday newspapers

Saloon bars and billiard halls
Obviously not an issue for many

Restaurants
Clearly OK

Hotels and bars
Also clearly OK

Bowling alleys and amusement parks
Amusement parks OK

Pyrotechnic displays
As in care meetings?

Public swimming pools
OK

Private swimming pools
Some who have bought homes with them use them

Any place where there is no meeting; i.e. most countries and most cities.
If for business OK like China, Japan, Singapore

Beaches
Very OK

Colleges
Off campus versions OK for full courses, on campus for single units

Universities
Off campus versions OK for full courses, on campus for single units and heavies do the latter

The Zoo
Very OK

Libraries
OK

It will be interesting to keep a count of how many of these rules are openly discarded. Some of them are already being ignored, but usually not openly. Leaders still say that not one of these great men's words fell to the ground.

My comments are from my personal observations

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:15 am 

The words of these great men that have fallen to the ground must now be littering the meeting room floors like a carpet of autumn leaves.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:05 pm 

They say "The lord has turned a corner" ; they tell us "but we have changed you know" ; then the current MOG's father-in-law says "you will not change us!"
JTjunior, JHS and JSH must be spinning in their graves!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pm 

I always liked the excuse for dropping some edict once thundered from the platform and rigorously enforced then just as quickly dropped that 'the Spirit is not stressing that currently amongst us' ( you gotta admit they were scrambling to try and keep up with what Paul called ' tossed and carried about by any wind of doctrine' by unscrupulous and cunning men with sleight of hand witha view to systematized error '*)

I first ran into it when being castigated for going down to the cafeteria on the ferry to get a hamburger during the era of only eating 'food prepared with Holy Hands' edict ,but after JTjr got off the plane and announced he had already eaten, the 'Holy Hands' rule was never heard again..shortly after that we were once again on the ferry and the same brother who had taken me to task,suggested going down to the cafeteria,I asked him if the food was prepared with Holy Hands?( you don't ever do that,very bad form,especialy in front of everybody else) and the brother,put on the spot ,announced that ' the spirit wasn't stressing that currently amongst us'and that ' you are on very dangerous ground' for having the temerity to ask 'why the rule had been dropped?'

This also seems to be one of the neat tricks they use to avoid taking responsibility or apologizing to people whose lives they made miserable for 'not being in line'but now quite openly do the same thing....cell phones,computers, eating with others, fraternizing with the 'world'- anything goes to make a buck........pure hypocricy...any ordinary person would be embarrassed, but not so the brethren,because 'the brethren are always right' and because they can't answer, turn on you for daring to question why....

* Go on ,read Ephesians 4:14 for yourselves and tell me all those rules once rammed down our throats then just as quietly dropped the brethren haven't been 'tossed and carried about by any wind of doctrine'...skill testing question-which of These Great Mens words DIDN'T 'fall to the ground' when it was expedient to do so?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:09 pm 

Gal 5.1 wrote:
They say "The lord has turned a corner" ; they tell us "but we have changed you know" ; then the current MOG's father-in-law says "you will not change us!"
JTjunior, JHS and JSH must be spinning in their graves!

Graves? Dante's Inferno suggests other resting places :evil: :twisted: