WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 am 

Jehovah's Witnesses Outlawed

According to the BBC,
Quote:
Russia's Supreme Court has accepted the government's request to designate Jehovah's Witnesses as an outlawed religious group, deeming it to be an extremist organisation.

The justice ministry argued that the group had distributed pamphlets which incited hatred against other groups.
. . .
One pamphlet distributed by the group quoted the novelist Leo Tolstoy as describing the doctrine of the Russian Orthodox Church as superstition and sorcery.

Officials have accused the religion of destroying families, propagating hatred and endangering lives.
It is fair enough to say the JW group is extreme, harmful to individuals and harmful to family and social cohesion. It is opposed to modern knowledge, learning, science and some branches of medicine. It teaches an extreme form of fundamentalism and exercises an oppressive control over its members. In most of these ways it is almost as extreme as Exclusive Brethrenism.

So to ban it would seem a good idea, except for one thing: this would erode the longstanding guarantee of religious freedom, and would set a controversial precedent. Who would be next?

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39661339 for further details.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:31 pm 

Agreed, Ian.

I wouldn't want the EB banned. I would prefer that they were not subsidised by the taxpayer and I would wish them to be banned from running schools. But not from worship as they wish. Of course, I don't believe that they should be able to practice harm: there is no such thing as absolute freedom.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 pm 

There is nothing so powerful as 'banning' a religion,it feeds right into their 'siege mentality' that 'everybody is against us' ,far better to ignore them,other than publicly exposing their hypocricy and denying them the anonymity of 'flying under the radar' that they brag about. ...but as far as according them any special privileges ,tax breaks and subsidies it seems a bit of an anonomoly to have the ' world' they openly despise be expected to subsidize them...they can do what ever they want( within the law) , but not on my nickel.

Most of these abberent cults that made headlines eventually wither and die on the vine...so be it..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:16 pm 

State controlled belief is a dangerous thing. Sometimes we have to hold our noses but to go any other way will result in our own freedom of belief or thought, whether religious or political, to be curtailed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:49 pm 

Religeos freedom is a cherished right as it should be ,as is freedom of speech and freedom of association.

The problem arises when these 'freedoms ' cross the line and impact the lives of other people. One of the challenges of people emigrating to this country is them trying to excercise the 'rights' and practices of their old country.Sharia law might be acceptable where they came from, but not here. You can't beat a woman in this country for not covering her face

Arranged marriages might be acceptable in some cultures but not here, and when a young woman dated a local boy, her father stabbed her to death and claimed 'self defence' as the family 'honour' had been impinged upon.He claimed he saw this as his duty, but the judge didn't buy it

Recently a immigrant doctor was charged with female genital mutilation, claiming if she didn't perform the procedure in her clinic, the child's mother would have gone elsewhere and had it done in unsanitary conditions and without anaesthetic... So where does the state intervene?

As we speak there is a trial underway for members of the ' Fundamental Latter Day Saints ' charged with poligamy ...they claim it was not only their 'right' but their 'duty' to marry as many women as they wanted in order to produce as many children as they could...

Somewhere in there the state has an obligation to protect people...even when it counters their religeos 'rights'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 am 

The Questioner wrote:
Agreed, Ian.

I wouldn't want the EB banned. I would prefer that they were not subsidised by the taxpayer and I would wish them to be banned from running schools. But not from worship as they wish. Of course, I don't believe that they should be able to practice harm: there is no such thing as absolute freedom.

Why wouldn't you want the EB PBCC or whatever they call themselves next banned? If we go down the "freedom" track, pray tell me where do you draw the line?

Where is their public good, they are harmful even to themsleves. That is ok?

Ban them and if nothing else it could send them broke.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 am 

I was reading recently of the power of suggestion and it could be argued that no one was better at using this tool than Adolph Hitler. It is no secret that John Hales had read Mein Kampff and was influenced by it.

The power of suggestion cannot be underestimated and the control that the current El Supremo of the PBCC Cult has over his cult members cannot be underestimated either. Even the ones who escape have this 'Stockholm Syndrome' and really get upset when you advise them that Bruciebaby is a conman, and certainly shows zero signs of actually being anything remotely resembling a Christian according to the Jesus you read about in any bible.

My vote is ban the lot of them from at least getting any tax subsidies. Why on earth would you subsidise a cult? It makes me cranky thinking of my tax dollar going to support conman Bruce. The man is filthy rich - made not from the sales of office desks for sure, but out of tax subsidised fancyshmancy trusts and convoluted devious tax accounting frauds.

Perhaps I am going soft on him in my old age eh? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 am 

I wouldn't want the EB banned because I believe in freedom of belief. I do not believe in freedom of action. People's beliefs do not need to be for the public good and in any case, who would decide that? Teresa May or Donald Trump? Or even PeterF or The Questioner?

None of that is the same as them having tax support as in the UK and other places.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:31 am 

Knock out the tax advantages and government grants and chances are most of these cults would die on the vine.Genuine charities ( including some churches) can and do go to great lengths to ensure their operation is transparent and provide a demonstratable public benefit as their MAIN focus, not some added on feature to prime the pump and con the authorities into granting them tax status while profiting from the 'charity'

It is a common tactic from some of these bogus charities to so entwine personal gain and public benefit do as to make it as dificult to determine where one ends and the other begins...

I set up and ran my own registered charity for 20 years, it was really really simple, 100 cents on the dollar went to the families, zero overhead,nobody was paid for their efforts ( nope, not even a 'gift') .My board paid whatever expenses we had out of our own pockets and nobody made a thin dime off of it...no convoluted bookkeeping, no shell companies and no moving money around.. We held an AGM and had audited statements open to anybody who wanted to see them.I was the founding Director but had no signing authority.Two elected board members had that. You CAN run a clean ship-if that is your INTENTION.( nope, didn't wear red shirts with our logo splashed all across it to trumpet our 'good works' from the housetops either) This is not particularly unique,I know of MANY similar charities that are run the same way...the brethren are SO gauche' it's pathetic..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:49 am 

The Questioner wrote:
I wouldn't want the EB banned because I believe in freedom of belief. I do not believe in freedom of action. People's beliefs do not need to be for the public good and in any case, who would decide that? Teresa May or Donald Trump? Or even PeterF or The Questioner?

None of that is the same as them having tax support as in the UK and other places.

I support selective euthanasia, selective genocide and flushing undesirables :lol: :twisted: . The bible supports every evil type of 'selection'.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next