WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:38 pm 

When I was still an impressionable child I remember my father saying that he didn’t think there could be life on other planets because if there were, the Bible would have told us about it.

The same kind of reasoning occurs in the ministry of B. D. Hales.
Quote:
If there was another planet where life was, do you think God wouldn’t have told us about it? It's impossible. And do you think the Lord wouldn’t have gone there? And He hasn’t. Because there isn’t.
BDH Vol. 104 page 123 (Sydney, 31 October 2010)

Neither did the Bible tell us there was life on other continents, such as America, Antarctica or Australia, or that the Lord went there. So to be consistent we should not believe in kangaroos, red Indians, Eskimos, penguins, or about hundreds of billions of galaxies and billions of billions of planets, because the Bible didn’t tell us about these either.

“It’s impossible,” says Mr Bruce. I suppose you could use the same kind of reasoning to rule out almost anything you didn’t want people to believe in. The Bible didn’t tell us about climate change, evolution, genetic determinants of sexual orientation, the ice ages, ancient meteorites, continental drift or ancient species of hominids, so these must all be fairy stories too. With Brethren logic you can deduce anything you want people to believe and disprove anything you don’t want people to believe. It’s convenient, but deceptive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:09 pm 

It would be good if intelligent life were found somewhere: it is certainly in short supply on earth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:11 pm 

It would also be good if a respect for truth were found somewhere. It seems to have become scarcer than usual this last year or two. Lots of religious and political extremists and their supporters are saying anything they want people to believe, without caring whether there is any truth in it at all.

My favourite question has become, “How do you know?”

Let us hope this cavalier disregard for truth does not become accepted as normal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:52 pm 

Am a big fan of the comic strip Calvin and Hobbes - a kid and his stuffed tiger toy that comes to life.

One memorable comic panel has Calvin musing to Hobbes that "the surest sign there is other forms of intelligent life in the universe is the fact that none of it has attempted to contact us".

Pretty true me-thinks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:14 am 

Elect Vessels like Bruce D Hales are not stupid. They know very well how to effectively dumb down their entire following by saying stupid things which no follower would dare to question, and that strengthens the leader's power.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:56 pm 

I agree , Ian, with your concern about truth. Presumably you include half truth or half lies. I feel that 'spin' by government and by extension the media is just one aspect of the gradual and persistent decline in valuing truth. I would argue that this downward spiral affects everyone. No one is an island and it is easy for our personal standards to be seduced.
'Spin' seems to me to be corrosive because it undermines confidence in the structures of society partly because it is difficult to know what is half truth or half lies.

Are these things worse now than in the last century? I wouldn't know the answer. Could it be that all of this is just the same thing pursued in different ways?

My understanding is that amongst other things the corruption of truth was a factor in the collapse of the Great Roman Empire .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 am 

We have a large swathe of people here in Australia who watch and only read Rupert Murdoch news and 'you have to understand' Ian that it is the TRUTH!' Right?
Hmm...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:15 am 

Fortunately, the truth has a habit of getting out in the long run. It can take a long time, but liars tend to get exposed for what they are, and people gradually discover what sources of information are reliable and what ones are not. For instance, nearly all escapees from the Exclusive Brethren quickly realise that they have been fed a whole load of codswallop, and there are plenty of people still in who already know it.

I have just learned that Fox News broadcasts in the UK stopped for good on Tuesday owing to a lack of viewers. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41087659. UK viewers have several better sources to choose from. Fox has been rumbled.

Those who spread fake news are like those who preach a false religion. In the long term, neither of them can do much damage in a free society, because our culture is robust enough to cope with any ideas being expressed and debated, but within the Exclusive Brethren that is not so. EB society is too fragile and frightened to risk freedom of expression or freedom of thought.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:13 am 

A democracy as opposed to a dictatorship only works because of an opposition party,the term'Her Majesties Loyal Opposition' is well described ...an effective opposition can be voracious at attacking the ruling party by forcing accountability and in doing so remains 'loyal' to the head of state.

Unfortunately,the brethren ,being a dictatorship have no such process to challange the 'one man ministry' who got the job not by Pauls qualifications but by strong arm tactics,winner take all....Being an 'opposer' is one of the worst labels one can be accused of in the brethren,but in truth might have spared us being subjected to all the reduculous whims and notions that were rammed down our throats then dropped just as quickly and more likely the result of 'spirits ' than the Spirit ....people who demanded scriptural authority were called 'wicked' and 'evil persons' whereas in fact were 'loyal' to'the Head of the Church-Christ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:38 am 

I think it was in Candace Pert's book Molecules of Emotion that pulled apart scientifically that one of Newton's 'Laws' were actually incorrect!
How do I know? Forgive me Ian if it wasn't that book because it is a while since I read it, but her book certainly blew my mind some of the stuff which she wrote, as well as her also being swindled out of a Nobel prize.