WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:19 am 

I thought that it might be nice to pay tribute to the one decent thing to come out of the peebs - an appreciation for the finer things in life - to wit a wee dram....

Now for some reason our beloved sozzled blubs seemed to have a penchant for Johnnie Walker.... which I think is crap to put it mildly.

Even allowing for the price you pay for a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue, I'm a firm believer that if you are going to sink a couple of hundred bucks on a bottle of scotch you can do a shitload better than a blended whiskey....

Personally, I've tasted a number of whiskeys and brandies over the years.... some good - others not so good...

So - in homage to the fine art of distillery.... what's your poison?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:38 am 

Lagavulin Single Malt for me. Although I'm really a peasant because I do prefer beer, real ale of course!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:23 pm 

J. H. Symington had definite preferences when it came to whisky, but Archie Brown of Detroit took a while to accept the great man’s judgment. This was one of the rare occasions when Symington’s word was not accepted without question. See Vol. 14 pages 464-466 (Adelaide, 16 December 1972).
Quote:
A.S.B. Aw, the bottle is empty.
J.H.S. Arrh, it is not, it is not, none empty, huh? The best water is Scotch and the best label is Red. Chivas ... I never understand it but it doesn't sound right — Chivas Regal. It doesn't sound right, somehow it does not sound right but — Red Label! Some people look very solemn!
A.S.B. You'd better try Black Label.
J.H.S. Why?
A.S.B. That is better.
J.H.S. You are saying that. I am not saying that.
A.S.B. But I am saying it.
J.H.S. I know you are, but you are against me, Mr. Brown.
A.S.B. Eh?
J.H.S. Are you against me?
A.S.B. Oh no, no, no!
J.H.S. Well then you had better change your mind quick.
A.S.B. I'm against you now?
J.H.S. It is not natural, see; it is not what people go for, that Red is better than Black. That is my idea. Red is better than Black. Red is better than Black.
. . .
A.S.B. What you been drinking?
J.H.S. You be the judge, you be the judge. My interest is in Red Label. I don't know what they gave me. I am not responsible for what they gave me. I thought it was Red Label ... if it was not Red Label, my interpretation is Red Label anyhow. I don't know the difference, that is the simplicity of somebody that you know ... ! Fire-water is fire-water, that is all I know.
A.S.B. Try Black Label.
J.H.S. Now you are saying that.
A.S.B. Yes, that's true.
J.H.S. Yarrh, yarrh, my preference is Red Label. Don't you understand?

There is another disagreement later on, pages 466-467
Quote:
J.H.S. They won't throw you out. If they throw anybody out, it won't be you! Oh, isn't this a lovely meeting! Is there anything spiritual about this meeting?
J.S.B. What is the subject anyway?
J.H.S. I don't know! How would you expect me to know?
A.S.B. Well, why are you sitting there?
J.H.S. I don't know. This chair is red, isn't it?
A.S.B. You are colour-blind.
J.H.S. I am not, I am not colour-blind — this chair is red, this chair is red, isn't it John?—isn't this chair red?
J.S.H. Yes.
A.S.B. It's maroon.
J.H.S. 'Moroooon' he says! That is Detroit, see that is Detroit — Deetwoit! He says the chair is moroon, the chair is not moroon.
A.S.B. . . .
J.H.S. No, the chair is red—red.
A.S.B. Aw, you are thinking about herring.
J.H.S. I am not. You are thinking about herring.
A.S.B. Aw, no, I'm thinking about the chair.
J.H.S. That is not what I am thinking about.
A.S.B. Well, it is moroon anyway, what are you
J.H.S. I'm thinking about the label.
A.S.B. Oh!—black label?
J.H.S. No, the label is red.
A.S.B. Oh! -
J.H.S. Herring—herring
A.S.B. That's Johnnie Walker.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:33 am 

He also liked Black Bull. If you wanted to stroke his ego and suck up like any wannabe leader in Piggyboy's days you bought him Red Label - BIG bottles and a couple of bottles of Black Bull.
You can hardly credit how so many of us listened and read this drivel as though it was some divine manifestation of the greatest order.! How duped were we eh?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:18 am 

One brother who had come under suspicion from JHS took a bottle of Dewars as a peace offering..didn't work, ole pig eyes merely made fun of him and he got the chop anyway.Course it didn't take much to run afoul of JHS,as many loyal EB found out as he redressed slights real and imagined

Personaly,I don't care for the stuff,never did develop a taste for it but peasant or not a good amber ale is much appreciated

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:52 am 

Red Label seemed to be in favour but red cars were apparently not! What enriching ministry. You couldn't make it up!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:38 pm 

Red label, the red books, the Red Sea, red herrings, red head squares and red heifers are all right, but not red cars or red dresses.

Quote:
We don't like red dresses. I hope nobody's got a red dress on here tonight; scarlet. We don't mind red headsquares, but not red dresses.
John S. Hales Original Series Vol. 75 page 60 (Engadine, 2 April 1992)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:53 pm 

And anybody daring to buy a red sports car or a sister showing up in a red dress could be expected to be pilloried and publicly badgered for daring not to be ' in line' with what is being 'currently stressed amongst us'. The amazing thing is we actually swallowed this garbage....you look back and wonder where your head was as we played their little game of 'Jack do this,Jack do that'...must be a huge ego rush to the 'ministering servent' though to see the brethren's 'obediance( maybe that's where I developed my 'opositional defiance syndrome'aka'backbone')

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:14 pm 

Have tried a number of single malts over the years....

Talliskers - not bad
Bowmore - yuk - anything from Islay with it's distincive peat smoke flavour is not my thing
Japanese single malts are surprisingly good
Spey River - not too shabby
Starward from Melbourne - lovely drop
Hellyers Road from Tasmania - ok but a bit rough

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:54 am 

Here is a short report from the 26 August 2017 issue of New Scientist, page 17.

Quote:
How adding water enhances whisky

PUB lore says that adding a dribble of water to your whisky makes the flavour pop. Now this has been confirmed using a computer simulation of ethanol, water and a molecule called guaiacol, which provides some of Scotch’s distinctive flavour. Using the model, researchers at Linnaeus University in Sweden found that guaiacol tends to stick to ethanol. When liquor is above 40 per cent alcohol by volume, ethanol tends to stay in the body of the liquid. But when the simulated whisky was diluted to 25 per cent alcohol, the ethanol spread more uniformly and allowed some guaiacol to reach the surface, wafting its smoky scent and taste (Scientific Reports, doi.org/cbxs).
So there is something you can use to start a conversation with your EB acquaintances. Then watch for it appearing in the ministry.