Billy Graham

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
charles

Billy Graham

Post by charles » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:09 pm

The death of Billy Graham, in the newspapers today, made me think of his 1954 crusade to London Haringey Arena. I was 11 at the time and can remember a local weekday meeting occasion at the Rochford Street meeting room in North London when the leading local brothers, which included Percy Lyon and Dr Arthur Morford, took a brother to task for going to one of his crusades. Mr Edward Cook and one of his daughters, Grace, had attended one of Billy Graham's meetings. It was pointed out to him that he shouldn't have gone and that they would forgive him only if he gave them his word that he wouldn't go again.

I remember it being said at the time by the Brethren that people were converted at these crusades, then the Evangelist Team would return to America, leaving the new Christians high and dry with no church to go to. One convert came close to joining the brethren at Park Street, London, but the week before he was to break bread someone spotted him walking down the street smoking a cigarette. Did he have a lucky escape I wonder ?

One of the ways Billy Graham would get his message across was the way music and hymns were used. I was always told this was suspect, didn't JND say that music was sentimentality without conscience? Even when in the Symington EBs I always appreciated the hymn singing and was keen on music, but since leaving over 40 years ago I have experienced some powerful occasions when a famous piece of music coupled with words of the Bible was performed at a religious service. The fact that I can still remember those occasions proves that the musical performance helps to cement the occasion in one's memory. About 5 years ago we went to an Easter Sunday service in a London West End theatre and the concluding item was the singing by a large choir of Carl Jenkin's Benedictus, and at the same time a large illuminated cross slowly descended at the back of the stage. I am not sure if the words are actually biblical. That was an unforgettable experience.

I enjoy being arrested/brought up short, by a piece of music, discovering that I really like it, being grabbed by it. Some twenty years ago it was Massenet's 'Meditation' that did this to me, where the solo is played by a violin accompanied by other instruments. Only two weeks ago we were practising Stainer's 'God so loved the world' which will be sung next Easter Day. I am the accompanist for a group of some 30 singers, and I felt overwhelmed with the quiet melody, the combination of the chord progression and the words of John 3 : 16. Although I had heard the piece before, I hadn't registered it in my mind as being a powerful piece of music. It's a good thing that music can do such things to us.

In 1966 I heard on a friend's tape recorder a recording of Billy Graham preaching and it was a welcome relief from the discouraging meetings we had to attend at that time. 'Just as I am without one plea' and 'Blessed Assurance' were among the hymns that the choir sang as members of the congregation went forward, replying to the invitation to 'decide for Christ'.

I believe Billy Graham's coffin is to be brought to lie in state at the Capitol, Washington. He was certainly a remarkable man.
Last edited by charles on Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fisherman

Re: Billy Graham

Post by fisherman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Yes,I remember that EB sour grapes criticism of Billie Graham crusades too,but they didn't( or chose not to) mention that follow up teams WERE in place,and if they were truly concerned ,then why didn't THEY volunteer to be part of the teams?....I asked one brother if the lord really CARED when'and where someone got saved?....

Just wondering....how many people came to know the lord at an EB preaching?..or do they even know the lord,or are they trusting BDH for their salvation?....

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:10 am

We just watched the funeral service for Billie Graham....the gospel message of salvation and hope that Billie Graham preached his whole life featured prominently...funny,his ministry was about the same length of time the EB were preaching their gospel of 'separation'(salvation doesn't seem to play much of role these days,'business' does)... didn't see BDH among the pastors and dignitaries present maybe he was busy conducting a business seminar or something..

The Questioner

Post by The Questioner » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:41 am

In a similar capacity as Hales you have Mr Graham's son, Franklin, I fear. I've heard he is involved with religion but, as with the EB, not one I recognise as Christianity.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:17 pm

I believe ministers are entitled to a reasonable living, but if people give out of sacrifice,then here should be that same element of sacrifice in their own personal lives.Opulence and wealth was never associated with the life and teachings of Jesus.Franklin Graham at least preaches the gospel of salvation and a personal commitment to Christ, what BDH preaches, I do not know.....funny, throughout the whole funeral service,I never hear one word from the 'authoritative ministry' ,although the bible was quoted extensively...in his lifetime ,when people gave accolades to Billie Graham ,he always deferred to Christ,saying 'it's not about me, it's all about Christ' ,the brethren lap it up...and it shows...
Last edited by fisherman on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Humbled

Post by Humbled » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Mr Questioner

Out with it Man! What are you specifically trying to tell us?

The Questioner

Post by The Questioner » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Franklin Graham, and others, appear to have lost sight of following Jesus Christ. Power, wealth and telling everyone else what to do seem much more important. Claiming to be pro-life but really only anti-abortion. He promotes guns, bombs and torture.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I am neither promoting or defending Franklin Graham but when you state ''He promotes guns,bombs and torture' could you please substantiate that statement by providing a verifiable reference?

The Questioner

Post by The Questioner » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Just look on his Facebook posts or see what he says on Fox News. He is against gun control, supports Trump's immigrant ban, endorses the US bombing campaigns and in the past supported waterboarding. His statements are all over the Internet.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:11 pm

I really don't follow the man ,or watch FOX news, so I'm not in a position to defend or accuse.However, that said I have a problem with preachers,ministers whatever ,drawing huge salaries,especialy when it comes from people who give out of their own poverty .My foster daughter lives on a disability pension of which her room and board were deducted,had $75 a month left over ....of that she gave $25 to charity....so when I hear of people who run these charities drawing over 1/2 a million in annual salaries, they don't get my nickle...Nor do I support any charity with paid fund raisers....you can google any of these charities and get a breakdown of where their money goes and how much is paid in salaries ..telling me it's 'for the lords work'. Isn't good enough..I want to see independently audited statements