Brethren women and children have no right of appeal from abusers in the PBCC.

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
fisherman

Re: Brethren women and children have no right of appeal from abusers in the PBCC.

Post by fisherman » Sat May 19, 2018 12:02 am

What the taxpayers should be asking their elected representatives is WHY are they subsidizing this cult? Why do they get the tax exemptions and worse,government grants from the 'world' that they 'utterly utterly' hate? The EB have got to be laughing all the way to the bank...

The Erect Vessel

Re: Brethren women and children have no right of appeal from abusers in the PBCC.

Post by The Erect Vessel » Wed May 23, 2018 8:12 am

became hysterical. Her problem was she was in a very unhappy marriage - such is the Brethren method of courtship where you are selected and then married in the belief that love will follow one day. (I'm pretty sure the current leader's father said this somewhere as a directive to the Brethren.)
Ah but you have to understand see, that Our Beloved no sorry The Beloved nah actually lets cut to the chase Piggyboy stated see that quoting from Genesis 24:67 And Isaac led her into his mother Sarah's tent; and he took Rebecca, and she became his wife, and he loved her.

See it was after she became his wife that he loved her.

Gee the ignorance of you young people these days...tut tut tut tch tch...no invitation to you for the next Universal Occasion or a special dispensation for an invite to the next Business Conference where you will only have to pay USD$4500 for the privilege of sitting in between two very fat brothers with bad breath and sweaty armpits for 4 hours learning about think and grow rich techniques to use in your business.

And Isaac led her into his mother Sarah's tent; and he took Rebecca, and she became his wife, and he loved her.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Ian McKay

Post by Ian McKay » Wed May 23, 2018 11:05 am

And Isaac led her into his mother Sarah's tent; and he took Rebecca, and she became his wife, and he loved her.
The use of this verse by JSH to encourage marriage before love in the mere hope that love will follow was both irrational and seriously harmful. It is seriously harmful because it has led to cases of married couples who don’t love each other. Marriage not founded on love is a recipe for misery, and it is seriously irresponsible to promote it.

And the teaching is also irrational because it is a non-sequitur, depending on the false assumption that events are always mentioned in chronological order. With that assumption you could equally misuse the verse to support getting shacked up together before marriage, or “taking her” before she becomes his wife. Isaac’s mother was dead by then, so the young couple would be alone in her tent before Rebecca became Isaac’s wife. If you are going to be irrational you might as well be consistent about it: move in together, then take her, then get married, then love her. Exactly the reverse of what most Christians recommend.

twotimothytwo

Post by twotimothytwo » Wed May 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Others will be able to confirm the fact that on occasions EB young men have selected a good looking girl pictured in the Brethren's photo album collection, called the EB hierarchy to propose the union, passed the usual examination questions regarding (among other things) finance, job prospects and masturbation, then finally approached the target of their previously unannounced desires with the news that they have permission from on high to marry them.

Puts the poor girl on an awkward position as they would not want to be known as refusing the advances of someone who has gained official permission to marry them. Could have repercussions on them, their parents and family in general.

No regard for compatibility in interests, intelligence, plans for a family or life goals, which in the EB all have to match anyway, just because the girl looked great in a carefully posed photograph.

I am forever grateful that in the 1970's we enjoyed chances to get to know each other better before committing to marriage.

The Erect Vessel

Post by The Erect Vessel » Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks Ian and 2T2 for some sanity.

The illogical stupid dangerous teachings of these utter fools of so called'great men' knows no bounds.

What bothers me that all these years later, generation after generation of young brethren are getting their lives wrecked in so many ways; unhappy marriages just the tip of the extreme psychological damage done to these poor flockers.

abishag

Post by abishag » Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 am

"And if you say that your abusive husband rapes you and you seek help for this from the only people who can give it to you, they punish you like they did this poor soul in New Zealand. She was banned from seeing her own family as a consequence of getting a restraining order from an evil thug who raped her whenever he felt like it. And when his wife cannot be held down forcibly any more- he turns on his child and does the same thing."

Remember I said this? Well I heard of another case today. A woman in the Brethren who has endured half a lifetime of rough and highly inappropriate sex, practically tantamount to rape - of disrespect - of doing what her vile Brethren brother husband wanted, whenever he wanted it. He was violent and forceful and cruel. She was his chattel, there to feed him and keep his house and give him what he wanted when he wanted it. She knew no other life. And if she didn't feel up to it, he took it anyway - forceably. And one day she woke up after what amounts to a serious emotional breakdown and said 'that's it! I can take no more. I have got to leave!'

So she left, lost her family in so doing and the evil bastard of a husband stays in this farce of a church as a good and righteous brother, where men are all powerful and women have no voice. Lest they be slapped down again. This is so ridiculous in this day and age that you would think we were living in Victorian times. The trouble is that issues like this start at the top. This is a church that is rotten from the top down. Let me explain.

In my day you had Taylor and Symington delivering their edicts from afar, some of which extinguished many people's tenure in the Brethren completely, mine included. I too said "Enough - I cannot take one more day of this crazy so called Christian sect that won't even allow me to make a decent life or decisions for myself. I cannot even make a choice on my vocation'.

Do you think Taylor or Hales really gave a stuff about people? With all that money rolling in every month? They bang on how about how gracious and pure and wise these blokes are, but they are not. Symington suffered from extreme greed, cruel vindictiveness and power delusions right to the end. As for Taylor- where do you start. The man was as flawed as it is possible for a human being to be.

And now we have Hales. If I was one of them today, I would be booted out within a day. They all rise for Hales when he walks in. Standing there before their God as he saunters into the church with their heads bowed in some sort of reverence. They then all rise and watch him depart in utter reverence before they do. Like a Pope or the Queen. If you want to talk to Hales (God forbid) you are instructed to sit at the end of the row and pass him a note or a gift as he struts out of the place. If he looks at you - you might be able to give it to him. Can any of you ex-Peebs believe that?????? Or is it just me who thinks this is absolutely bloody stark raving crazy?

I heard about someone who wanted Hales to take a look at their little business and give it a plug or a nod of advice perhaps, or maybe use it somehow in the UBT world. (I suppose). They waited on the end of a row waiting for Hales to exit and then nervously handed the product to him in the form of a gift as he swept by. It was handed onto a minder with Hales' gaze steadily on the exit.

Forget about full blown commerce in the assembly. Forget about money changers in the temple. I find that absolutely incredible. And it proves what Hales has done in making this sect a big cash cow that feeds his trust accounts and his family's net worth. He has this global network of people working their tails off making money for him. Plus he rakes it in via the cash donations to him personally. And they sit there and just take his extraordinary arrogance - day in - day out.

The crime here IS the rude arrogance of this family. I remember well the haughty, overbearing arrogance of the Hales during the 1960's. But nothing like this. You could at least talk to John and Bruce Hales after a meeting if you really wanted to give it a shot. Sure they might treat you like shit but you could at least state your case for two minutes. But not this guy. This guy has elevated himself to a position of a Grand Supreme Poobah and someone who cannot be approached unless he wants it. And as for the womenfolk, forget it. We would not want to be in-subject would we.

I understand what it is to be brainwashed. But Brethren people -this is NOT Christianity. This is not true Christianity. You have allowed this man to make you lose the plot. You sit there like pawns, like serfs in his world, like cogs in a machine, which is not one of saving souls and believing in Christ and learning from his example. It is one of feeding a man's greed and wicked ego.

Stand to attention while he walks out of the church? Before you are allowed to leave? Like he is some sort of God? Get outa here!

I wonder how many women suffer in silence, while their cruel, disrespectful, overbearing husbands tug their forelock to Bruce Hales with impunity. I wonder how many are subjected to this sort of violence and cruelty. With the promise that they will lose everything and go to hell if they resist or refuse.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun May 27, 2018 2:00 pm

I have no idea when and how this will end, but I have seen enough to know it WILL end...great houses built on the sand aren't flood proof.God hates pride and the EB have it in spades ...'all rise' when the mighty Bruce chooses to make his entrance! Oh wow,I'm just so ,so underwhelmed....nope,the last chapter hadn't been written yet, but it will,trust me,it will and history is strewn with the wreckage of these pretentious monuments to somebodies ego...the biblical reference to 'feet of clay' is still in modern usage ...Deja vue- the golden head statue lying face down, smashed on the floor,you can read all about in Daniel (and for those who just read the white books, Daniel is a book in the Old Testiment, comes right after Exekiel if you don't know the books of the bible,or you can just check out the 'Books of the Bible' at the beginning ,JND put it there for the great bible scholars amongst us...)