WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:41 pm 

delete...

Last edited by fisherman on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:41 pm 

History shows that the majority of people will go along with almost everything until they are affected personally,the 'I'm ok Jack' syndrom.During the onset of JTJrs 'new ministry' that broke up so many marriages and families, most of us still sat there and did nothing,we swallowed the most weak excuses for supporting the 'separation' doctrine,even when it went diametrically against scripture eg 'if you be invited to the house of the unbeliever,eat all that is set before you'-countered by 'but you wouldn't be minded to go'..'if anyone hate not mother or father,they are not worthy of me' is in the same context as 'If your eye if it offends you,pluck it out'( funny,you don't see a lot of brethren sporting eye patches or having a hook to replace a hand,but will glibly trot out the EB 'justification' for breaking up familes)
This website provides factual scriptural evidence that knocks the props out from under the EB doctrines

But without ever having to debate or defend our 'position' we were prey to the EB brainwashing...we were never challenged ,and so therefore meekly went along with it...this website provides factual firsthand accounts and examples of EB hypocricy ,as well as verification that people CAN 'make it outside the cloistered ranks of the EB/ PBCC...if it serves to force people to open their eyes and use their brain,so be it.Deprograming is painful but neccesary for victims of brainwashing,the biggest challange of which is admitting we WERE brainwashed.

Whether this website changes anybodies mind or not is immaterial,once people have read something it's there,lodged in their brain..and it may take years to incubate. It took us 10 years of ignoring facts and evidence before we were finally said 'enough is enough'.The more people contribute the better...I hope to live to see the day this travesty comes to an end..nobody deserves to live like this..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 am 

I completely understand Abishag’s outburst of frustration. Banging one’s head against a brick wall has only one effect: you get a sore head. The brick wall does not feel a thing.

I have no idea who reads this site on a regular basis. We are told that the EB regularly monitor it – or pay someone to do so. If there are “plenty of recent leavers”, as Abishag asserts, maybe a few, many or all of them also tune in from time to time. Who knows?

I would just like to sound a note of caution here. Be gentle with them. Don’t hector them too much about getting involved. Everyone is different. It can take time.

When I walked out of the EB 47 years 3 months and 28 days ago, I wanted to blot out “everything Brethren” from my life to that point, and start again. Metaphorically speaking, I closed one book, hid it away in a dark and secret place, and opened another. For over 30 years, I spoke to no EB and very few ex-EB. To use a well-worn expression, I just wanted to “move on”.

Well, I thought I had. But can you really delete all those experiences during all your formative years – just with the snap of a finger? I guess psychologists could debate that for hours.

Of course there was one important factor. The internet did not exist for most of those 30 years. But when I first gained access to it, around 2002, for some inexplicable reason late one night I decided to search “Exclusive Brethren”. What fell out was Dick Wyman’s former website. I was completely gobsmacked. I sat there until 4am like a stunned mullet, trawling through the many names I once knew on Dick’s “visitors’ book”. Then I read about their horrific experiences. In tears, I found it hard to believe. Was it really possible for events to have occurred that were even worse than during the JTJr era? Oh yes it was. That has been proved over and over again with incontrovertible evidence.

It was only then that I started to re-open that long-closed “book”, and it was rather traumatic, not only for me, but my dear wife – who, to use that awful old EB expression, was “never with us”. She had known almost nothing of my former life for the first 26 years of our marriage, and she found it rather confronting. I was spending more and more time on “Brethren stuff”, coming to grips with the political campaigns of the early 2000s, renewing some old contacts (and making new ones), and feeling the need to get involved as some sort of activist – perhaps to assuage my guilt that I had survived the terribly difficult journey from one life to another (whereas many others had suffered dreadfully). My wife was meeting people she had never heard of, having to sit and listen to conversations about events totally foreign to her. This was hard on her, but she has stuck by me, God bless her.

Why am I going on like this? Only to say that everyone who “crosses the Rubicon” in this way will do so at their own pace. Despite the common background, every experience will be different. Some may find this site almost immediately and seek help, or just explore the experiences of others. They may or may not find it helpful. They will certainly discover a wide range of views on all sorts of issues, which would be very strange to someone just leaving. It is a bit like escaping from a house fire and being immediately flooded with a high pressure hose.

Others may be like me – just trying to forget the whole mess and adjust as best as possible to the outside world. It is not easy. There are traps for young players, and plenty of wolves in sheeps’ clothing.

Frankly, if I was a recent escapee, the last thing I would want is to be pounced on, told to “get off my bottom and start writing”, and that everyone was waiting with baited breath for my revelations of the latest outrages. It sounds like something from John Le Carré – a debriefing.

Of course we are interested to hear from recent leavers. But our priority in that department should be to provide a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on and some support and encouragement. Above all, it should be a “gently, gently” approach.

As frustrating as it can be, we should be prepared to be here for the long haul. To use an old saying of my mother’s, let us keep cool, calm and collected. Also, who, in 1988, ever expected the Berlin Wall to crumble, with the East and West of Germany to be united after 50 years apart? Almost no-one. Yet it happened just a year later.

Finally, Abishag stated: “If we lose this site - we lose our voice.”

I disagree. There are more ways than one to skin a cat. If one site closes, another can be opened. Look at what happened with Peebs.Net. But there is one lesson to be learned from that. Make sure you keep a copy of everything you contribute to this site. I do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:54 am 

I hear your frustrations Abishag. When I left first I wanted to block out and not let on to anyone that I had been in a stupid cult! It was embarrassing that - well I think I am sane (others may think differently!) - but to have been so duped for so many years - it is humiliating. Now I just tell people straight out and we all have a good laugh, and folks say they can't believe it! (That I had been in a cult).

I share your sentiments too Peter Flinn. The lady in my life read Bachelard's book and was really shocked, as I have minimised a lot of the pain I felt and continue to feel from the evils of the brethren. Bad bastards - especially the leaders, and especially the head honcho - pure evil. No conscience, and like his forebears - cruel evil despots who KNEW and KNOW that they are con artists.

Berlin Wall came down.

Saddam Hussain met his match.

Osama Bin Laden finally copped it.

The fact that Brucie has been caught well and truly bribing may well be the beginning of the end. I cannot see anything else other than he will have a sticky end, as he appears to have zero conscience. His dad liked Mein Kampff and you wonder how much Hitler had an influence on that wretched family.

Keep his feet to the fire.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:06 am 

Despite my misgivings, I would still never admit to myself that the EB were a cult, but eventualy was forced to when I saw how OTHER cults operated and I could not help but see that we were doing the SAME things, same coersive tactics,same intimidation,same lies and disception ...and 'if it looks like a duck,if it quacks like a duck and if it swims like a duck,it IS a duck'

This is why I post the updates on Leah Remini's expose on Scientology,in hopes the EB might see it for themselves and make the connection..the heartbreaking personal stories the ex Scientology members tell could well be written by ourselves ,it's that close. Leah Remini makes the point that the only way any of these cults will ever be brought to task is by continued media exposure,the very thing all cults hate...Lady Kiwi does an excellent job of keeping us informed ,and people like Michael Bachelard are our best allies.Too many people have suffered too long to let the EB 'big money boys' use their financial muscle to have it all their way and then let these travesties just be swept under the carpet and forgotten..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 am 

Peter Flinn wrote:
I completely understand Abishag’s outburst of frustration. Banging one’s head against a brick wall has only one effect: you get a sore head. The brick wall does not feel a thing.

I would just like to sound a note of caution here. Be gentle with them. Don’t hector them too much about getting involved. Everyone is different. It can take time.

But can you really delete all those experiences during all your formative years – just with the snap of a finger? I guess psychologists could debate that for hours.

Only to say that everyone who “crosses the Rubicon” in this way will do so at their own pace. Despite the common background, every experience will be different. Some may find this site almost immediately and seek help, or just explore the experiences of others. They may or may not find it helpful. They will certainly discover a wide range of views on all sorts of issues, which would be very strange to someone just leaving. It is a bit like escaping from a house fire and being immediately flooded with a high pressure hose.

Others may be like me – just trying to forget the whole mess and adjust as best as possible to the outside world. It is not easy. There are traps for young players, and plenty of wolves in sheeps’ clothing.

Frankly, if I was a recent escapee, the last thing I would want is to be pounced on, told to “get off my bottom and start writing”, and that everyone was waiting with baited breath for my revelations of the latest outrages. It sounds like something from John Le Carré – a debriefing.

Of course we are interested to hear from recent leavers. But our priority in that department should be to provide a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on and some support and encouragement. Above all, it should be a “gently, gently” approach.

As frustrating as it can be, we should be prepared to be here for the long haul. To use an old saying of my mother’s, let us keep cool, calm and collected. Also, who, in 1988, ever expected the Berlin Wall to crumble, with the East and West of Germany to be united after 50 years apart? Almost no-one. Yet it happened just a year later.

Finally, Abishag stated: “If we lose this site - we lose our voice.”

I disagree. There are more ways than one to skin a cat. If one site closes, another can be opened. Look at what happened with Peebs.Net. But there is one lesson to be learned from that. Make sure you keep a copy of everything you contribute to this site. I do.

A truly salutory word Peter.

From those who have left that I have met, they just want a total escape, not be coerced into attacking the cult. They may reconsider later, and then they may not. I was one who was threatened with eternity in hell and torment, and from what I am told that is more so and heavily emphasized these days. It may take a long time for this threat to lose its potency.

Let us give them time and let them be. They will do what they are comfortable about in time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:41 am 

Some of the problems are, as I see it, that there are many on such as facebook who are not recent leavers and who are very loud and strident and demanding that something is done - it was also the case on peebs.net - but when you ask for evidence to support a case they go strangely silent.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:46 am 

I would say that Mr Bachelard has very recently provided us with evidence we must not overlook. Has anyone other than myself made the Charity Commission or indeed our MP's, aware of the attempted cover up of child abuse in the PBCC with huge sums of money?

Or do we stay silent over that? Bearing in mind Mr Bachelard is not an ex-Peeb anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:47 pm 

There may be some here who, like me, don't remember much of their TEB/HEB days.

I left the TEB in 1970 as a result of Aberdeen - I was 5 years of age! I spent the remainder of my childhood in what has subsequently become known as the Frost Brethren, of which there is very little mentioned here. The Frosts hold to the teaching of all the so called brethren leaders up to and including JTsnr, and maintain a closed table on a Sunday morning. The closest I have come to identifying with anyone is Rebecca Stott through her remarkable book "In the Days of Rain"

I would love to be able to help in some way, but I don't really feel that I can contribute much to the party as a result. If there is something I and others like me could do, then please do let us know..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:05 pm 

The main problem with ex pbs is that they have been duped into following the wrong man. Then we grope about looking for the proper replacement. To help find the right One, the article entitled 

"Listen to the Reasons These Two Televangelists Give for Needing Their Own Private Jets: ‘We’ve Got to Have This!’" 

should be invaluable. Google can help.