WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:29 pm 

Potential witness in Exclusive Brethren sex abuse case paid to remain silent
Michael Bachelard

The Exclusive Brethren church has been covering up child sex abuse for decades, and last year I wrote about it. The story told of children who were denied, bullied or bought off by the religious sect to keep their abuse secret.

The main source for the story was the Brethren's former spokesman, Tony McCorkell.

A towering, flawed mountain of a man, McCorkell went nervously on the record with me, breaking ranks a decade after leaving the church and confessing to the role he had played in the history of cover-ups. It was a role that ate at his conscience.

What was not clear at the time, to either McCorkell or me, was how far the Exclusive Brethren would go to continue resist the truth being told.

The Exclusive Brethren is a Christian-based religious sect that former members say is a cult. Led by multi-millionaire Sydney businessman Bruce D. Hales, it hides from public scrutiny. Its members will not eat, form friendships or communicate with outsiders, except to do business with them or to lobby conservative politicians.

It donates freely, but secretly, to the Liberal Party, even though its members do not vote. It splits families, denies children the opportunity to go to university and minimises its tax payments. Hales recently recommended one member take arsenic or rat poison rather than communicate with his own family members.

The church's response to my sexual abuse story was swift and comprehensive.

Before it was even published last June, they warned me I was in danger of breaching the Racial and Religious Tolerance Act and the defamation law. A Melbourne-based church functionary, Lloyd Grimshaw, wrote to Fairfax Media chairman Nick Falloon seeking "management oversight" of my journalism.

A month after the story was published, a Brethren company registered as a charity, the Plymouth Brethren (Exclusive Brethren) Christian Church Limited, briefed Sydney lawyer Mark O'Brien and sued Fairfax Media and me personally in the Supreme Court for defamation.

As The Australian's legal affairs editor, Chris Merritt, reported at the time: "If the case goes to court, the evidence of Mr McCorkill [sic]… could be ­crucial."

A second legal action over the same story was taken against me by a church member described as "Jane Doe" who alleges my reporting illegally identified her as a child victim of sex abuse. That case continues in a different Sydney court.

In suburban meeting halls in Australian cities, the Brethren held prayer gatherings in which they appealed to God for the death or "removal" of me and McCorkell over "the legal proceedings in Sydney". When McCorkell did actually die this year at the age of 37 of natural causes, they called it an "answer to prayer", and "God's work completed".

But for this wealthy, closed Christian group, leaving it to the courts and to prayer was not enough. They also talked with their wallets. They resorted to bribery.

As we prepared our defence, behind the scenes, McCorkell was negotiating the financial terms of his silence.

Just three days after the defamation writ lodged, Lloyd Grimshaw, a director of the company suing me, signed an agreement with McCorkell. Entitled "Services and Confidentiality Deed", the agreement proposed to pay McCorkell $920,000 over 10 years; part up front, the rest in monthly payments of $6000, along with a $75,000 "holding" account, to keep his mouth shut.

McCorkell, though, did not want to wait 10 years for his cash.

On Friday, October 21, last year, he flew from his Queensland home to Sydney to renegotiate. Grimshaw's name might have been on the agreement, but it was not him talking turkey. That was left to Dean Hales, the son of the Brethren's Elect Vessel, the Man of God, Bruce Hales.

Dean Hales did not return calls, and Grimshaw said it was "not convenient" to talk when I spoke to him at home this week.

But the evidence is clear: McCorkell got what he wanted – cash up front.

On Tuesday, October 25, last year, McCorkell sent a text to a friend, saying: "Dean's been texting me today and so it will happen this morning, I believe. I'm tired and nervous but excited."

At 3.18pm that day he texted his friend again: "They just confirmed it's paid."

Bank records of McCorkell's company, Auserv, obtained by Fairfax Media, show that $137,500 hit his business account the same day – the first half of the bribe plus GST.

For the rest of the story see http://tinyurl.com/y9xlptz9 I apologise.... entering the wrong link. Should be ok now.

Last edited by LadyKiwi on Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:48 pm 

Michael Bachelard appears to have a copy of the actual gagging contract between the Plymouth Brethren (Exclusive Brethren) Christian Church Limited (a registered charity) and Tony McCorkill. See http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/20 ... dacted.pdf. Making that contract looks dangerously close to being a criminal offence, and unequivocally a moral offence.

Around 2005 I was startled when a normally gentle, mild, devout, Christian contributor to peebs.net expressed the opinion that Exclusive Brethrenism was an evil, wicked organisation. Events since then suggest that he was just more perceptive than I was.

Praying for someone to be removed, presumably by death, is on a moral level rather similar to that of a witch’s malevolent incantation or a voodoo spell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:32 pm 

Wow! The lid has completely blown off the PBCC Limited!

I'm sitting here with my head spinning wondering what exactly to say first. This was a story that I had followed and commented on frequently - including the gyrations of the superlatively effective shyster McCorkell and the way he ended up with the PBCC eating out of his hand. He had them just where he needed them - and with his own business in ruins - he knew where he could get the cash to bail himself out.

Michael Bachelard said he had uncovered something that was potentially explosive. And he did not disappoint. His expose today on the recent court case and its aftermath is probably the most explosive thing ever written about the Hales Brethren. The Brethren are fast running out of options on keeping people quiet about their appalling behaviour. And dare I say it - their evil, cold, callous disregard for victims of crime in their midst. They just wanted it all to go away and they would use any means to do so.

I'm not going to go into a full strength diatribe at this moment in time - suffice it to say - from day one of the Hales /McCorkell alliance, I knew it was a rotten coalition by two people trying to keep their respective ships afloat. Hales - his global business goals and the somewhat dodgy PBCC Limited leadership and McCorkell - his constant need for cash to maintain his flash lifestyle. A 27 year old advising (as a right hand man) - someone who called himself the Man Of God.

Many doubted Hales' wisdom in this glaring step. We knew about Tony's many business incidents and his rather dodgy track record- it's all in print - but the big thing here was how Hales could be so bloody silly and naive.

We then pressured Hales to see the error of his ways - he had McCorkell at the front gates of his churches telling the media and anyone else - they could not get in unless they were 'one of them'. (A Brethren member.) Only trouble with that was that McCorkell was 'not one of them'. Predictably - having been prodded from the sidelines, Hales made him join the church again. And that ended in tears as we also predicted.

Tony's sad end at a very premature age was unfair - but it had nothing to do with God answering the Brethren's prayers. He had diabetes - again because of his lavish lifestyle, the poor fellow and certainly no one would have wished that on him. Well - apart from the PBCC Limited that is.

But the trail of dishonest dealings and illegal actions of the PBCC Limited is utterly gobsmacking for its audacity and total lack of ethics, morality and wisdom. These Brethren are not very smart people. Cashed up certainly - but not at all clever. I have to get my head around this and its ramifications. It shows patently how corrupt the Brethren really are - and the depths they will stoop to achieve their end aims.

In closing for now - I want to register a vote of thanks to Michael Bachelard for his tenacity in exposing this - despite the anguish the Brethren have put him through - but the truth always wins and it does not care who it hurts. Even if it's an organisation that has forgotten its true reason to be. A small Christian cult. This business which now masquerades as a church is rotten to its head and if Hales retains his position -along with his inner circle of yes-men after this - then they have no moral or religious integrity or compass whatsoever.

Stand by for more while I process this evil episode in their history.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:38 am 

If you position yourself alone at the very pinnacle - the point from which all binding decisions originate, to which all cash donations flow, and without which there is no church, then you can't be surprised to find that other questions are also directed to you, and other things are laid at your door - because there is no other door.
Deal with it, Bruce.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:18 am 

Readers of this forum will be interested to know Michael Bachelard is on a panel of Fairfax journalists at a public event in Sydney on Monday 20 November called '2017 Year in Review', stories that shaped 2017. I have bought tickets and if there is a Q&A session, I hope there will be an opportunity to mention Michael's EB investigations. However, when you think of some of the world-shaping events Michael has reported on during 2017, realistically the EB story may not rate very highly. All the same, Michael's report on the EB has a double-page spread in the printed version of the Herald this morning and is shocking in its implications.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:40 am 

Ian McKay wrote:
Michael Bachelard appears to have a copy of the actual gagging contract between the Plymouth Brethren (Exclusive Brethren) Christian Church Limited (a registered charity) and Tony McCorkill. See http://www.theage.com.au/interactive/20 ... dacted.pdf. Making that contract looks dangerously close to being a criminal offence, and unequivocally a moral offence.

Around 2005 I was startled when a normally gentle, mild, devout, Christian contributor to peebs.net expressed the opinion that Exclusive Brethrenism was an evil, wicked organisation. Events since then suggest that he was just more perceptive than I was.

Praying for someone to be removed, presumably by death, is on a moral level rather similar to that of a witch’s malevolent incantation or a voodoo spell.

Evil is not a strong enough word. Surely any residual respect any have should now be gone for ever.

They previously prayed for the removal of Justice Nicholson head of the Family Court and he has gone on record aptly describing them.

On the cult index they must be close to the top.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:06 am 

Within this sordid saga of sexual, emotional and psychological abuse, contempt for victims, lying, bullying, conspiracies of silence, bribery and corruption there are a few uplifting aspects that serve to reassure us that evil is not winning.

First, we know that Tony confessed and renounced the evil conspiracies that he was associated with, and this to any Christian qualifies him absolutely for unconditional forgiveness, and I expect his victims feel the same. He departed this world with a clear conscience and with the sympathy and restored respect of former critics. It must have taken a lot of courage to admit to his part in an evil system. One wonders about the moral state of his co-conspirators. Will they confess and renounce what they have done?

Secondly, we have the shining example of those who refused to take the Brethren’s huge bribes. We owe them a great debt of gratitude. To some people, truth, integrity and honesty are more precious than money. I find it reassuring to see these little lights among the darkness.

Last edited by Ian McKay on Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:37 am 

Michael Bachelard's article in the Sydney Morning Herald has also appeared in the Bunbury Mail.
See http://www.bunburymail.com.au/story/500 ... ence/?cs=7 I expect it will be reported in several other news media too, including television channels.

Here is another outlet running the same article.
http://www.victorharbortimes.com.au/sto ... s-silence/

and here is another one: the Canberra Times --
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nationa ... z35mf.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:37 am 

I do hope that the "Highest Court in the Land" will, soon enough, find it has been over-ruled, finally, permanently, loudly and punitively. And that its supreme justice - who is not actually God - will be suitably and publicly admonished.

Perversion of the course of justice is extremely serious. We need to be able to trust justice. I would not be sorry to see Hales in prison.

My best wishes to those people of integrity who have stood out against the corruptness of the evil empire.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:28 am 

And now it is in the Illawarra Mercury with a slightly different title and some more disclosures about bribery. Texts reveal how Exclusive Brethren paid witness to keep quiet. See http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... eep-quiet/