WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:34 am 

A 15-minute film about a girl living in a Brethren type sect is having its premier at this year’s Cambridge Film Festival in the UK.

The film is called GRACE and is being shown as part of an 82-minute screening of five short films with the collective title SHORTFUSION, a collection of tales about all that goes along unsaid beneath the surface.

GRACE is about a teenage girl living in an extreme Christian sect, who is driven into psychological turmoil by her elders when she strikes up an innocent relationship with a boy.

It is to be shown twice.
1) Mon 23 Oct at 22:30 at the ARTS PICTUREHOUSE, Cambridge.
2) Wed 25 Oct at 16:30 at the MOVING CINEMA, Cambridge.

You can just turn up on the day, but it is better to book a seat on-line at https://www.cambridgefilmfestival.org.u ... th-surface where you can read about the other four films. You can also read about the whole film festival at https://www.cambridgefilmfestival.org.uk/

The Director, Alex Holmes, would like to meet any Brethren or ex-Brethren that can attend. If you would like to contact him or arrange to meet him, email me and I can put you in touch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:12 pm 

The film is rather reminiscent of a short novel of the same name, Grace, by Morris Gleitzman. It is intended for young readers. I have not read it, but here are a few examples of comments made by reviewers at https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6681593-grace The church sounds very like a clone of Exclusive Brethrenism.

Quote:
Eleven-year-old Grace has been brought up in a very strict religious community where questions and individual thinking are not allowed. This has become a problem for Grace as she is starting to grow up and be curious about life. She is also stubborn and independent and this is absolutely frowned upon by the Elders in her community.

This book is not anti-religion but deals with themes such as tolerance, family, authority, closed-mindedness and freedom.

Quote:
Grace and her family are members of a church sect with rather extreme beliefs and when her father is expelled for questioning the ways of the church, Grace and her mother find out just what lengths the church elders are prepared to go to to keep the family apart.

Quote:
What really scared me about this story was just how impressionable the human mind can be. The community members that are part of Grace’s church are brainwashed beyond anything I can possibly comprehend. A scenario like that seems like total fiction to me, because I just can’t get my head around how someone (or a whole group of someone’s) can succumb to something like that without question. But the truth is, it’s not fiction. There are cults just like this one functioning in real life.

Quote:
Grace has been brought up as part of an extreme religious group and has to abide by the very strict rules set by the church elders. She must keep her hair long and pinned up neatly in a bun, she must never under any circumstances talk to anyone who isn't a part of her community - the outside world is full of sinners who are destined to go to hell - and she must never, ever question the elders. Her parents, especially her father, have always encouraged her ask questions but this causes problems with the elders and leads to her father being expelled from the church. Grace may have been told that she should act as if her father is dead but she is determined to find a way to bring him back home so they can be a family again.

Quote:
Although it covers serious topics it doesn't come across as preachy and includes plenty of humor alongside the horror of discovering more about the church group. It gives a real insight into what it can be like growing up as part of an extremist group and just how difficult it can be.