WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:24 am 

fisherman wrote:
I fully expect they will try as they always have ,to stop anything that exposes them( the 'attack') but eventually the burden of evidence turns the tide of public opinion against them. We saw the same scenario played out by the Catholic Church on abuse issues....they threw everything they had into the fight but eventually capitulated....you can't hide the truth forever
Ngaire Thomas went though the same thing when she published 'Behind Closed Doors' ,intimidation ,threats ,coercion

I wouldn't be surprised to see a class action lawsuit initiated against them some day,be interesting to see the shoe on the OTHER foot..

I fully expect some sort of intimidation.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:46 am 

If the Brethren try to suppress this film by intimidation, that could make it more of a success. People would be keen to see “The film the Exclusive Brethren tried to kill!”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:03 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me the brethren have gone to extraordinary lengths to try to stop any public exposure or investigation into their nefarious activity , books ,or media reporting of them.BDH himself is paranoid about being seen in public

When the Winipeg Free Press ran a feature 'The Closed Door Church ' on them in 9/5/2014 local residents couldn't find a paper anywhere, EB took vans to every news stand and bought up every newspaper and dumped them....'welcome scrutiny'? -NOT...

Hopefuly this film will be an accurate unbiased verifiable documentry exposing the harsh treatment,lies and duplicity of this cult masquerading as 'Christians' ....if it is,bring it on, shout it from the housetops,'tell it on the mountains'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:28 am 

fisherman wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems to me the brethren have gone to extraordinary lengths to try to stop any public exposure or investigation into their nefarious activity , books ,or media reporting of them.BDH himself is paranoid about being seen in public

When the Winipeg Free Press ran a feature 'The Closed Door Church ' on them in 9/5/2014 local residents couldn't find a paper anywhere, EB took vans to every news stand and bought up every newspaper and dumped them....'welcome scrutiny'? -NOT...

Hopefuly this film will be an accurate unbiased verifiable documentry exposing the harsh treatment,lies and duplicity of this cult masquerading as 'Christians' ....if it is,bring it on, shout it from the housetops,'tell it on the mountains'

The film is a personal story of the main character but with far-reaching implications. It largely deals with family and PTSD as its main themes.

I have yet to hear anything from the Brethren.

I'm curious though, how would they go about approaching the film if they caught wind of it? What steps would they take?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:26 am 

The Brethren might get lawyers to send you letters warning you that if the film contains any suggestion that the Plymouth Brethren Christian Church is responsible for harming its members or anyone else, or if you infringe the copyright of the Bible and Gospel Trust then they will not hesitate to seek compensation through the courts and protect their interests to the full extent of the law.

Unless they see a preview of the film they can’t do much more. For instance, they can’t ask a court to prevent its release.

Only a few years ago they were in the habit of sending out snowstorms of such letters, but since the Charity Commission threatened their various trusts with loss of charitable status, they have in effect agreed to behave less aggressively, and such letters are now less common. They have probably noticed too that their tactic has largely been an abject failure, because there are now dozens of printed memoirs and documentaries that expose the evils of Exclusive Brethrenism in harrowing detail. It’s too late for them to hush it all up.

If you get one of these letters, you will have to decide whether they are bluffing.

Some creators of documentaries, news reports and printed books have adopted a policy of avoiding any advance publicity so as to avoid any pre-emptive action on the part of the Brethren.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:51 pm 

They may have infringed on the copywrite of the 'Big Bad Wolf' in the 'Three Little Pigs'when he tried to intimidate them by saying he would 'huff and puff and blow your house down' ...chap came to a bad end,fell down the chimney and ended up in hot water...not the first time it's happened to bully's you know...

I got one such 'huff and puff' letter a few years ago...try as I might I couldn't crumple it up enough to get it soft enough for any practical use...so go for it...trouble is these poor souls strutting around like a cock on a rock actually think they are important....sad...but eventually with public exposure the tide turns and people see them for what they are...just another cult...nothing special, dime a dozen,they come and they go...'exclusive' NOT .....'PBCC' WHO?

The best thing about the Internet is these guys can't hide anymore...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:12 pm 

This film The Devil's Trap will be premiering in Montreal on the 16th and 17th November at the RIDM film festival. For places and times, see http://ridm.ca/fr/films/the-devils-trap