The 2015 Schism in the Renton Fellowship

Forum rules
Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum
Brother Rev

Re: The 2015 Schism in the Renton Fellowship

Post by Brother Rev » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Brother Rev – Quote
One family who left to go to another Christian Church have not had to suffer the sectarian actions of an ‘assembly meeting’ and they have not been ‘withdrawn from’, as its said ‘they have done nothing biblically wrong’. While this is actually correct according to Gods Word the Bible, is good news and should be welcomed, it is a position diametrically opposite to that taught by successive EB leaders since JND and certainly opposite to that taught by James Taylor and certainly opposite to all Renton EB ‘Assembly Actions’ since the original corporate group was formed in 1972. It highlights the so called ‘divine teaching’ from the likes of JT is indeed nothing more than just false teaching, if it can be ignored
Humbled - Quote
Wow. In terms of brethren theology is this not verging on heresy?
Yes that was our thought too. Of course it is welcome news. If there is no Biblical sin involved, holding an ‘assembly meeting’ and ‘withdrawing’ from persons and casting them out as unfit for fellowship, is totally unwarranted, is against Christian teaching and shows clear lack of understanding and no appreciation of Biblical teaching on the Body of Christ, or the Sovereign work of Christ in other Christians. Leaving to go to another Christian Church is not a Biblical sin.

However, it has been treated as a Biblical sin since JT Senior times and possibly before that. These teachings are normally venerated as ‘divine’ within EB circles and held up as part of the ‘recovery of the truth’. from the “men of God who have worked out the truth for us” (direct quote from N Henry) printed in a Renton EB White Book.

To reject this teaching is effectively to throw away the foundation of EBism. It is very welcome that some have begun such a journey and are slowly beginning to understand and truly appreciate the Body of Christ outside the walls of Renton EBism. This can only be a good thing, although I fear that persons on this journey may well have hurts to endure from those intent on maintaining sectarianism and will have to battle the usual double minded spin, hypocrisy, fear mongering, selective use of scripture and ministry that comes so easy to those clinging on to EBism. Such actions are disguised as ‘caring’, yet in reality it is nothing but desperation tactics to try to befuddle and confuse those trying to leave, in order to stop them leaving.
The distinction between cult and religion lies squarely in how those leaving or those wanting to leave are treated

Humbled

Post by Humbled » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 pm

The tactic of undermining people's beliefs I suppose is as old as time. It's not only in religion but in the market place and I think is often used to further the perpetrators viewpoint. I've been in marketing so I've been there. Perhaps it's negative and can open people's eyes to the motives but it often works. I hope that is not what you're meaning.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Sitting around in an ever shrinking small circle and 'quoting JT' is hardly 'teaching' although it might make the 'old guard ' feel good that the 'truth that we have won' is being maintained by 'separation' ...

The fields that are 'white to harvest' the harvest is great and the workmen few ' will never be harvested by staking off a bit of turf and building a picket fence around it and spending all your time keeping the fence painted and in good repair.The one thing I never heard mentioned much less taken seriously in either the EB or the Rentons was the 'Great Commission' ...and no, the 'day of the missionary' DIDN'T 'end with Paul' despite what JT said...when brethren had an outreach,they were growing and the Lord was blessing them....when they stopped looking out,they started looking in,and the expansion of meeting rooms that had been springing up all over the country stopped dead in its tracks and with no 'new blood' and people dying off or looking elsewhere for Christian fellowship ,consolidation and eventually implosion began.sad,but inevitable where entrenched thinking prevails

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Sounds like the haemorrhaging hasn't stopped,the clash between the'old school' bent on 'standing for the truth'( as they see it)right down to the last man and the younger uncontaminated generation continues.Calgary,once a thriving Renton meeting continues to implode.Sad,I hate to see it...old friends ending up on opposite sides( I have friends in both camps) . I blame the 'universal position' as much as anything,there are no firewalls to contain damage as 'issues' outside the local meeting continue to plague them and everybody is forced to line up and take sides

my2cents

Post by my2cents » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Yes, the scattering on this schism is far and wide. The nature of the division is interesting as it is not split across family lines or even party lines. These brethren that are leaving are not disenchanted malcontents, these are brethren that have been faithful to their position for decades. It is certainly giving others some pause for thought. I think it has got to the stage where brethren have realized that their position has been wrong and that their hardline stance on historical ‘conflicts’ has been equally wrong. It’ll be interesting if it can ever be recovered.

fisherman

Post by fisherman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 pm

I think you have nailed it, their hardline position on historical conflicts has been wrong and attempting to 'maintain the truth' is running into a brick wall.

For me,the last straw was going to a funeral in another 'Renton' locality of a baby of a brother still 'in' but 'shut up' by the Rentons and my fellow Rentons refused to go inside the funeral home( it was raining heavily,prompting a lady minute change from the planned for graveside service) to hear a short 'word' ( we were,afterall, burying a child,not a dog ) and at the graveside,my brethren who I was ostensibly ' in fellowship' with stood carefully on the other side of the grave,maintaining 'separation' ...that was it,I was so ashamed to be associated with them ,I never went back to another 'Renton' meeting...with attitudes like that,the Rentons are doomed as a 'position' clinging desperately to what they thought was being 'faithful'

my2cents

Post by my2cents » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:25 pm

fisherman wrote:I think you have nailed it, their hardline position on historical conflicts has been wrong and attempting to 'maintain the truth' is running into a brick wall.

For me,the last straw was going to a funeral in another 'Renton' locality of a baby of a brother still 'in' but 'shut up' by the Rentons and my fellow Rentons refused to go inside the funeral home( it was raining heavily,prompting a lady minute change from the planned for graveside service) to hear a short 'word' ( we were,afterall, burying a child,not a dog ) and at the graveside,my brethren who I was ostensibly ' in fellowship' with stood carefully on the other side of the grave,maintaining 'separation' ...that was it,I was so ashamed to be associated with them ,I never went back to another 'Renton' meeting...with attitudes like that,the Rentons are doomed as a 'position' clinging desperately to what they thought was being 'faithful'
Behavior like that is nothing short of disgusting - let alone ‘Christ like’. Like you, I feel for those still in the system, but as a church, as an organization, the entire system deserves to fail. Being in it is like a goldfish bowl; it’s all good inside your little bowl “we are the assembly” , “recovery of the truth” , “a holy position” blah, blah, blah.... There is no thought of any believers outside the system.

This present ‘conflict’ (their words, not mine) started with some isolated skirmishes in the south of England (no doubt precipitated by harsh actions in Australia); it has since evolved into vast numbers of their fellowship questioning the entire system and it’s actions taken in 1972. With the ever diminishing numbers of the ‘old guard’ it is shaking the younger members of the group to its core. Sad.

brother John

Post by brother John » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:14 am

The fragmentation of the Renton group is continuing, I've heard of individuals leaving a locality in the north of England which at the time of Aberdeen consisted of more than 40 people and is down to just 3. With no youngsters involved the end is surely nigh!