WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:10 pm 

A call for research participants who are former members of the PBCC/Exclusive Brethren

Hi, I’m Laura :) For those that don’t know me, I’m an ex-member of the EB. I grew up in Albury, (Australia), and left the EB just over 10 years ago. I am currently a PhD student at the University of Sydney, working on a thesis that explores the experiences of people who have been raised in the Exclusive Brethren/PBCC.

I am in the second year of my PhD course, and I am interviewing former members to learn more about their experiences. I have a few writing projects on the go at the moment, and I’m interested in hearing about all aspects of life as an EB and an ex-EB. Among other things, I am writing about the experiences of ex-members while adjusting to the norms of mainstream society after leaving, the lives and roles of women while in the EB, and social class and hierarchy within the group.

Over the next couple of weeks, I will be in the US. I am attending conferences in Las Vegas (Sunday 26th -28th Feb), Nashville (1st-5th March) and Los Angeles (9th-10th March). If there is anyone in or nearby these cities who would like to be interviewed, I would love you to contact me. Anyone who was raised in the EB, however long ago you left, can participate in this research. It is not limited to people with any particular viewpoint - people with both negative or positive experiences are welcome. The interview will be very informal, more like a chat over a cup of tea or coffee, and you decide how much or how little time we spend talking about different topics.

If you are interested, please send me a private message on this website, or email me at ldya7795@uni.sydney.edu.au . You can also contact me if you are not interested in participating, but are curious to know more about my research. I welcome questions, and will be happy to talk to you about what I’m doing.

(If you are not in the US, you can still get involved :) I will be in the UK and France in June/July, NZ later in the year, and I’m doing interviews in Australia all year. If you are not able to do a face-to-face interview, but are comfortable talking over Skype, we can do an interview that way. Or you can simply email me with things that you think I might like to know and we can have an email conversation. Whatever you are comfortable with! :) )

The fine print:

If you would like to know more before deciding if you would like to participate, please ask me for a copy of the Participant Information Statement for this research, which outlines the project in further detail.

Participation is entirely voluntary. The interview will cover topics such as your experiences while a member of the Brethren community, your experiences around leaving, and life after leaving the group. You can answer questions in as little or as much detail as you wish, and skip questions you don’t want to answer.

If you choose to participate, all interviews will be anonymous and confidential.
To be part of this research you must be at least 18 years of age. Please contact me at ldya7795@uni.sydney.edu.au if you would like to participate or to receive more information about the research.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:44 pm 

Laura,

If you are going to be in the UK in June, try to be in Maidenhead on 3rd and/or 4th June because there will be plenty of potential interviewees there. The event will probably be advertised on this web site nearer the time. If you are there, it means there will be several reasons for people to attend.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:23 am 

Thanks for this suggestion Ian. I was planning to be there later in the month, but now I know about the gathering at Maidenhead I will see if it's possible to rearrange my plans a little. :)