WikiPeebia.com Forums

Like after a fellowship meeting, just better.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please note: This forum allows the use of anonymous usernames and is a public forum. This means that there probably are members of the PBCC active in the forums. They may try to befriend you with the intention of gathering information that should not get out into the public domain. Be very careful what you say to persons that you do not know. Bear in mind too, that use of a username on another site or forum may not necessarily be the same person on WP with the same username. There have also been actions of copying what is said here to use elsewhere. This is not allowed. Please read the forum rules properly. Full forum rules can be found at http://wikipeebia.com/forum

A Christian?
I still pray 20%  20%  [ 10 ]
I attend a Church 16%  16%  [ 8 ]
I believe in the Creeds 14%  14%  [ 7 ]
I am no longer a Christian 12%  12%  [ 6 ]
I do not believe in a Diety 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
The EBs were OK till JTJnr came along 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
The EBs were cultish from day 1 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 49
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:29 am 

The Erect Vessel wrote:
The rot started with JND - a man who today would probably be diagnosed as Asperger's and the fruit of this dynasty is the current perverted pontificating paranoid paedophile-allowing prat.

Sorry if I didn't make my feelings quite clear how I felt ;)

:)

I recently reread JNDs Collected Writings as they are available on the web - I couldn't get to the tip in 1982 quickly enough to toss my stuff out and the 3 additional sets of the JND->JT stuff my father had bought for my sons. Someone suggested that I sell them - having been brought up by the EBs to not deal in what you wouldn't use yourself ... [another thing they have revised and reversed!]

Trying to read his stuff with an open mind is a challenge but you do get some insight into the fellow. He was a brilliant man for sure, but I think quite confused at times and has some weird notions, like not saying the Lord's prayer. I think a lot of what he said was meant to be weighed up, and for example, he never meant his version of the bible to be other than a researchers tool. He was also very friendly with Darwin's wife so what did he think of Darwin's findings?

He came up with his religious code and when he did, it was virtually fixed. Disagree with him and you were out either of the inner circle or the fellowship. There was no collaboration at any stage, no consideration of the others' views - it was his way or the highway. His word was law, and the only law. His interpretation was the only interpretation. He had tickets on his ability to analyse, consider and determine what something was, and that was it. Any different to today? Today it is possibly more blatant. When you read again what JT said about the 'current voice' it is really scary, yet none apparently opposed it - possibly it did not really sick in? FER also had his notions whihc are regarded by many as straight out heresy, so today is nothing new, again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:44 am 

Spare a thought, Erect Vessel, for people with Apergers's syndrome. Not all are involved with Cults. It is possible that Einstein, quoted elsewhere in this thread, was also someone with this condition. No-one can help having it.

Carloz: I cannot put a specific time on when the EB became a Cult. It isn't possible and it was unlikely that it was a specific time in history. I would suggest that Darby laid the way for it to happen. I doubt that it (EBism) would be considered a Cult by the acknowledged sociological measures until during James Taylor Jnr's time.

I do, by the way, understand that you cannot ask every question you'd like and that this was a reasonable shot. I was just pointing out that I could not tick a box regarding EBs being a cult as per your questionnaire (from day one) yet I do believe that they are a cult.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:22 am 

I am amused that this thread is in the Satire and Humour forum!!

JohnW I agree with what you say - JND laid the foundations with the separation doctrines that became harsher and harsher. The minute though that the brethren had a named leader they were heading full steam ahead for a cult. They ceased to be anti-sectarian from that moment. JND did not like being called the leader I think? though he behaved like one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:22 am 

JND seemed pretty confused sometimes. On the one hand he appeared to be horrified at the direction the brethren were going. He also was horrified at the idea that Communion should be exclusive and that he should have founded the group the brethren appeared to be becoming. On the other hand he could be as arbitrary as today's leaders, shunning those who disagreed with him.

He was properly learned although not the cleverest man in the world as the EB claim. He never - so far as I know - claimed to be the Lord's only representative on earth or whatever it is that today's top man claims. Subsequent leaders have become ever more ignorant, simultaneously denying others education so as to silence disagreement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 am 

johnw wrote:
JND seemed pretty confused sometimes. On the one hand he appeared to be horrified at the direction the brethren were going. He also was horrified at the idea that Communion should be exclusive and that he should have founded the group the brethren appeared to be becoming. On the other hand he could be as arbitrary as today's leaders, shunning those who disagreed with him.

He was properly learned although not the cleverest man in the world as the EB claim. He never - so far as I know - claimed to be the Lord's only representative on earth or whatever it is that today's top man claims. Subsequent leaders have become ever more ignorant, simultaneously denying others education so as to silence disagreement.

No, he did not claim to be the MOG, but he sure bloody well acted like it. There was arrogance but it was veiled - maybe that is how it was back in those days. I agree that he laid the foundation of what came after but there was a duality - says one thing and does the opposite.

There are 3 versions of the 'unbroken line' - 2 major ones [1] JND, FER, JT --> [2] JND JBS FER JT --> and the other incldes CAC between FER and JT. CAC was severely criticised by the Hales from memory for being a weak wimp type. JBS never came over as contraversial in anything I read, but the typical line we are used to all had very controversial doctrines which needlessly cost many lives. JND FER JT --> never gave a toss as to how many left over extreme versions of 'issues' which on reflection really didn't amount to anything other than power to the leader.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:58 am 

[quote="Jill Mytton"]I am amused that this thread is in the Satire and Humour forum!!

quote]

In one sense anything about the EBs is serious and quite sad, and that is through ther positngs on this site. However the whole things is a 'joke' and it really would be if it wasn't real. So take the topic classification as 'poetic license' :lol:

We have all been hurt by the bastards and for most iof not all of us there will be scars that will never go. BUT I am not going to grow ulcers because of them!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:53 am 

Quote:
There are 3 versions of the 'unbroken line'

Perhaps when this "unbroken line" teaching came in (mid 1980s?) that the EB really became what we would call a cult. I remember my father (in EB) writing to me extolling this new great truth - I think from Symington.

As a cult it officially made much of men; while earlier men like JTjnr were adored by a new generation of hard faced young men in the early 1960s and hung on to his every word.

Since then the EB have gone steadily down hill to the feeble picture of a "Christian" in name only.

While there was legality from Darby's time there were still real faithful Christian men and women who loved the Lord into the 1960s and 1970s. The language at Aberdeen exposed the corruption that had developed till then, which is why so many left at that time, though many had also left after the Cowell issue in 1958-9 and into the 1960s.

Phil T.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:38 am 

From answers.com

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_festivals_do_exclusive_brethren_celebrate#slide1

What festivals do exclusive brethren celebrate?

Answer:

Every night is whisky night!